Lilly is the 10th largest pharmaceutical company in the world, and has been creating medicines that help improve peoples' quality of life for more than 135 years. Across the globe, we are a leader in investing in research and development and we also invest in our employees – in competitive salaries, training and development, and health.
The pharmaceutical industry is a complex, rapidly changing environment and we are looking for highly capable leaders to help us continue bringing innovation to patients.
If you are interested in being considered for employment at Lilly, we encourage you to review the following opportunity.
Autoimmune Consultant-Medical Liaison – Southeast area based
Scientific Experts (SEs) have special needs for in-depth and cutting edge information, because these health care professionals design and implement novel research and educate colleagues and students. The Medical Liaison (ML) program is specifically designed to meet these needs through a field-based group of medical professionals with deep content knowledge about Lilly and competitor products and current issues in the therapeutic areas they represent. This position is focused on Autoimmune Disease (Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus and Psoriasis). The ML also gathers feedback and insights from Scientific Experts (SEs), to better inform Lilly's research and potentially influence overall strategic direction of the company. By providing answers that matter and facilitating scientific exchange between industry and the academic community, the MLs have the opportunity to shape the future of healthcare with needed information that addresses important clinical and scientific questions. This ML position covers the following states in the Southeast area in the US – Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi and Louisiana.
Develop mutually beneficial relationships with external clients and internal business partners
• The ML will spend between 70-80% of their time on customer-facing activities to develop relationships with external clients - key scientific experts/educators/investigators - within a defined geography.
• The ML will serve as the major representative of Lilly for these health care professionals, providing deep and advanced disease state and product information as well as facilitating the work of the scientific expert when it aligns with Lilly's mission.
• An important aspect of this work will be to connect thought leaders with other Lilly resources (e.g., Outcomes Research, Discovery, Scientists, and Clinical Research Physicians).
• The ML will be the primary point person interfacing between Lilly resources or internal business partners (e.g., Clinical Research Physicians, Medical Information Associates, Corporate Medical teams).
• They will also report the clinical insights and unanswered customer questions they have received from external SEs to the medical and brand teams.
Understand and effectively communicate current scientific knowledge
• The ML will be required to maintain their technical expertise within a therapeutic area to engage in scientific discussions with scientific experts.
• The ML will be expected to engage in continuous learning within the therapeutic area they represent.
• They will attend appropriate scientific meetings, conduct routine literature searches and will be expected to communicate regularly with each other to assure that the entire group benefits from individual learning whenever it is relevant.
• As a result, the ML will establish themself as a reliable, trusted resource of accurate, up-to-date medical and scientific knowledge requested and desired by their clients.
• They will respond in a timely way to personal or electronic inquiries with any available information which may include reprints or posters, medical letters, literature citations, access to internal and external experts, slides and other teaching-related material.
Effectively manage administrative activities
• The ML job entails not only scientific and customer expertise, but also requires the ability to understand and effectively utilize approved resources to fulfill administrative, procedural, and legal requirements in order to address the customer needs.
• These activities may include proficiency in computer skills and database entry (VEEVA, LillyNet, S5, Microsoft Office, Ovid), continual compliance of all procedural requirements of the role (i.e. good documentation practices, standards and procedures,) and appropriate utilization and best practice sharing of available resources.
• Advanced degree in health sciences (PharmD, Ph.D., M.D.) with 2-3 years of relevant clinical or therapeutic experience. OR Masters or Bachelors level degree in health sciences considered if 5 or more years of clinical experience in relevant therapeutic areas.
• Relevant therapeutic areas include rheumatology or dermatology
• Qualified candidate must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Lilly does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this position.
• Previous Medical Liaison experience
• Significant clinical or research work in the areas of autoimmune disease including rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus and psoriasis.
• iPad proficiency • Intellectual curiosity and intelligence about the field of autoimmune disorders
• Highly motivated and capable of comprehending large amounts of scientific content which is then communicated in a clear, concise fashion.
• Significant direct experience in servicing customer needs for complex information.
• Demonstrated ability to work with often demanding or difficult clients.
• Significant experience and success in self-managing priorities and multi-tasking projects.
• Strong teamwork/interpersonal skills.
• Advanced presentation and computer skills with expertise in literature identification and evaluation.
• Significant experience in professional networking with positive mutually beneficial outcomes.
• Experience in field-based environments highly valued.
• Familiarity with the academic community and the medical research and medical education process highly valued.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills, including capability to engage in professional relationship building and networking.
• Demonstrated Good Documentation Practices.
• This role requires significant documentation.
• Solid documentation practices are required for this position.
• Field of Study: Health science related disciplines including Pharmacy, Medicine, Nursing, doctoral level training in life sciences.
• Territory: Southeast area - Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi and Louisiana. (Atlanta Preferred)
• The position is field-based with upwards of 60% required travel (car and plane) to manage assigned geography and frequent travel to congresses.
• Applicants must have access to large hub airport.
• Ability to use field-based electronic or other communication tools for all aspects of job is critical.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status