• Under the direction of Technical and General Supervisors, perform microbiological and/or DNA and RNA oriented laboratory procedures in accordance with standards established in the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA).
• Process infectious specimens, conduct testing, and report test results with constant attention to detail and excellence in quality.
• Operate laboratory instruments and equipment. Trouble shoot and problem solve with laboratory instrumentation and assay systems as needed. Monitor and perform preventative maintenance as required for machine performance.
• Keep meticulous and organized records of specimens, tests, instrument logs, and technical analyses.
• Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either correct the problems or immediately notify supervisors.
• Conduct and document appropriate quality control and assurance procedures. Assist with quality assurance and performance improvement activities.
• This role will be located in Palo Alto, CA until Fall 2014 then moving to Newark, CA.
• Either a current California State Clinical Laboratory Scientist License (a Generalist or a limited license in Microbiology or Clinical Genetics Molecular Biology) or Public Health Microbiology (California) certification.
• Bachelor's degree in Clinical Lab Sciences or related field.
• Ability to responsibly follow laboratory protocols and processes autonomously, consulting with supervisor when needed.
• Knowledge of basic clinical laboratory skills. Ability to operate clinical analyzers and instrumentation.
• Experience working with DNA and RNA based methods.
• Proven track record of producing accurate results and maintaining excellence in quality in a dynamic work environment.
• Technical excellence and attention to quality and detail.
• Ability to effectively present information both one-on-one and in small group situations.
• Desire to be part of a fast-paced, rapidly growing start-up company.