Sequenta (www.sequentainc.com) is a small but rapidly growing biotech start-up dedicated to the discovery and development of clinical diagnostics based on a revolutionary new platform for understanding immune system status, particularly the immune cell receptor genes. Sequenta’s first clinical application of this technology is to detect very low level of cancer or minimal residual disease in the blood. Sequenta is located at a state-of-the-art facility overlooking the Bay in South San Francisco.
• Responsible for assisting the Clinical Laboratory Scientists and supporting the daily operations of the Clinical Laboratory.
• Responsible for handling and accessioning all incoming clinical samples for testing
• Perform equipment maintenance according to the laboratory’s standard operating procedures
• Create sample batches, print labels and label tubes and plates according to SOPs
• Maintain sufficient inventory of material, supplies and equipment in the laboratory for daily performance of duties
• Check temperature logs
• Clean glassware, racks, and other laboratory supplies
• Manage sample inventory
• Perform annual review of standard operating procedures
• Assist the Clinical Laboratory Scientist with preparation of reagents
• Assist the Clinical Laboratory Scientist during patient testing
• Set-up and assist with laboratories automated procedures
• Effectively report all concerns of test quality and/or safety to the Supervisor or Safety Officer
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Work schedule may be modified to meet operation requirements. Applicants must be flexible in work time and shifts.
Experience & Qualifications
• Experience with cell isolation and nucleic acid extraction is preferred
• Experience with tissues (fresh, frozen, paraffin embedded) is preferred
• Excellent laboratory skills, strong verbal and written communications skills are necessary
• Have the ability to thrive in a challenging, highly diverse team environment
• Working knowledge of clinical laboratory functions (ex. LPL, LIMS, Quality, etc.)
• Ability to analyze and problem solve basic issues
• Excellent attention to detail, the ability to multi-task and be flexible with tasks and schedules, and the ability to work independently in a team environment
• Ability to effectively communicate technical information to technical and non-technical audiences
• Ability to proactively communicate consistently, clearly, and honestly
• Ability to organize workflow to accession and handle incoming patient samples efficiently and accurately following Standard Operating Procedures with a high emphasis on quality
• Must have strong interpersonal and organizational skills. Excellent listening, oral and written communication skills to be able to interact with client services when information is incomplete or unacceptable
• Bachelor of Arts or Science in Biomedical Laboratory Science, Clinical Science or related field preferred
• Minimum of 2-4 years’ experience in health care/lab, industry preferred.
• Significant PC knowledge & Windows OS experience