The Regional Category Sourcing Manager – Travel & Fleet – USA/Canada will be responsible for establishing a regional category strategy and managing a portfolio of travel- and fleet-related spend categories across multiple affiliates in the USA and Canada. The role is heavily focused on program and supplier management, including optimizing the balance of internal and outsourced responsibilities. It is crucial that the successful candidate is able to empower our agency partners to take on more of the day-to-day management of the programs, while maintaining control, transparency, safety and service-levels to our travelers and drivers.
The person will be accountable for leading all fleet agency and maintenance, travel agency, airline, rental car and other ground transport, hotel, and travel/fleet infrastructure (including credit cards and expense management tool) sourcing and procurement for the USA/Canada region. You will drive an integrated Travel & Fleet strategy, standard operating procedures, sustainable cost improvement processes, and a transparent cost reporting structure. This will be done in collaboration and alignment with the Germany-based global Head of Procurement Category, Travel & Fleet, as well as a small US-based operations team embedded within the EMD Serono affiliate.
Our programs cut across multiple divisions and thus industries, including Life Science Tools, High-Performance Chemicals, and Bio-pharmaceuticals. The successful candidate must appreciate and account for both the overlap and uniqueness of each of these in how he/she performs the role. Businesses supported include EMD Millipore and Performance Materials, EMD Serono, and EMD Inc. (Canada) – all are affiliates of Merck KGaA in Darmstadt, Germany. This position is hired under EMD Millipore at Headquarters in Billerica, MA.
We need an energetic, flexible, outspoken team player capable of forming strong relationships throughout the entire organization. Strong networking skills are a must in order to succeed in this multi-divisional, matrixed organization.
The selected candidate may be located primarily in either Billerica, MA or Rockland, MA, but in any case will be expected to spend time in both locations as requirements dictate, with occasional travel outside of the USA.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Broad knowledge of strategic sourcing processes, this knowledge should include, but not limited to:
- Proven experience in supporting change across a multi-location environment, including cross-functional team facilitation
- Assuring effective management of our Travel and Fleet programs with a responsibility to maximize use of agency partners
- Drive simultaneous projects considering new alternatives and critical thinking to optimize results. This should include a change management plan to support changes and operational implementation
- Define strategic opportunities for the organization to improve service experience and provide the best total cost solutions to the organization
- Lead functional project as well as continuous improvement teams
- Lead cross functional sourcing efforts relative to provider selection and qualification
- Leverage external industry associations to benchmark
- Support the development and recommendation of programs to enhance working relationships and communication processes among stakeholders (Corporate Procurement, Regional Procurement, Local Procurement, Global Business, Local Business and Subject Matter Experts)
- Actively manage and conduct sourcing initiatives with respect to a best-in-class sourcing process, e.g. RFI, RFP, Benchmarking, Price Auction, Fact-Based-Negotiations, Contracting
- Bachelor's degree required (Master's degree preferred)
- 5+ years of relevant work experience with strong preference in a large multi-national organization
- At least 3 years experience in strategic sourcing/category management, conducting cross-functional sourcing projects and negotiating contracts in service related areas
- Fleet and/or Travel experience preferred
- Project background in leading change, specifically implementing outsourced services arrangement with “high touch” to internal stakeholders