At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We're focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As a Business Intelligence and Data Analyst (Analytics Analyst) Immuno Oncology in Gaithersburg MD, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives. North American Commercial is the 'face' of
AstraZeneca and MedImmune to our many healthcare clients. They represent many of the most well recognized and respected products in the industry, and build strong relationships with healthcare professionals.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through four key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
In a completely hands-on role, you will be primarily responsible for providing rapid data access and reporting to the Commercial Organization with expertise in manipulating, integrating & aggregating large complex data sets.
We are looking for someone who is a data specialist with a passion for data quality, automation and an ability to easily develop quick data pipelines from extraction to reporting. You will be deployed as part of the Business Insight & Analytics team and will report to an Insight Director within the Oncology therapeutic area. Further you will be aligned to an Advanced Analytics Manager within the team for onboarding to our systems, data education, learning best practices in data organization & professional development.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
You will be responsible for extracting, combining and aggregating transaction-level data sets from disparate sources and formats (both relational databases and flat files) into data cubes optimized for rapid access to key measures & metrics allowing for on demand deep-dive views of the business.
Develop & build fit-for-purpose custom data pipelines to support the cross-functional needs of Forecasting, Primary Research, Performance Assessment & Advanced Analytics initiatives extending to Marketing teams.
Perform ad-hoc data investigation & queries to address an immediate business question and report data via cross-tabs, pivot tables, charts, basic statistics, distributions & correlations. Also, automate reports and build interactive dashboards if certain ad-hoc requests are needed on a regular basis.
Support the development, distribution and maintenance of standard set of Brand Performance Reports and Dashboards using appropriate reporting, visualization and data automation tools.
Manage timely delivery of processed data and information for data-driven Marketing & Sales initiatives such as segmented custom target lists for Marketing Research, Multi-Channel Campaigns Sales Force Targeting and Resource allocation with inputs from the Advanced Analytics team.
Own regular evaluation of all data sources being leveraged to ensure integrity and quality of the data, actively maintaining data dictionaries & metadata definition.
Actively participate and influence continuous improvements to Company’s Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence solutions with a strong motive for eliminating redundant manual data extraction and processing.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; preferably in Engineering, Computer Science, Business Analytics or relevant Quantitative field. Advanced degree is a plus.
- 3+ years of experience in a data-rich environment; preferably using SQL/SAS for data extraction, processing, manipulation, query & reporting with a demonstrated practical knowledge of building analytical databases and management. Proficiency in SQL & SAS will be tested during the interviews.
- 2+ years of preferred experience in the Pharmaceutical / Biotech / Healthcare industry. Specifically, proficiency in manipulating and extracting insights from large longitudinal data sources, such as Medical/Pharmacy Claims, EMR and other patient level data sets.
- Experience in building clean and simple automated reports in Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience in data modeling and developing dashboards/reports in QlikSense or MicroStrategy. Similar experience with other BI tools is strongly preferred
- Experience with data warehousing (e.g. storage methods/formats, database design) preferred
- Knowledge of Python and big data technology - Hadoop ecosystem (Cloudera distribution - Impala, Hive, Pig, Hbase, Spark, MapReduce etc.)
Next Steps -- Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience -- it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.