At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As an Business Insight Manager/Leader (Oncology/Hematology) in Gaithersburg, MD you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives. North American Commercial is the ‘face’ of AstraZeneca and MedImmune to our many healthcare clients. They represent many of the most well recognized and respected products in the industry, and build strong relationships with healthcare professionals.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through four key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
You will be responsible for
developing and communicating actionable insights that effectively shape brand strategy and tactics based on a combination of primary research and secondary data across customer segments – HCP and Consumer. The Insight Manager/Leader will use sound market research along with strong analytical and critical thinking skills to support brand teams in making strategic decisions, developing promotional campaigns, and developing business cases. Keys to success in this position are superlative communication, consultative and influencing skills predicated on a strong foundation of primary market research skills and secondary data analysis proficiency. This job may require occasional travel for research.
The Business Insight Manager/Leader (Oncology/Hematology) will think strategically: Quickly identifies and acts on opportunities, combining forethought with action. This is based on an understanding of the external environment and its impact on AZ and the brand. Assembles facts and insight to tell a cohesive story that clearly communicates the health of the business. Drives Performance: Holds self and others accountable for the achievement of performance expectations. Creates an environment that enables others to perform at their best. Acts Decisively: Makes and acts on decisions quickly and effectively and fosters the same in others. This is based on an underlying courage to enable risk-taking for the business. Works Collaboratively: Actively creates and promotes cross-boundary collaboration with the aim of achieving better business results. Boundaries can exist between individuals, geographies, cultures, teams, functions, organizations, etc. Develop, deliver and execute market research and insight plans that support the brand strategy. Manage primary market research design and execution (including vendor/project management) with minimal supervision. Compile and analyze secondary marketing and/or sales data (including identification and appropriate use of data sources). Provide brand and market evaluation, interpretation, and communication of results synthesizing key data and insights spanning a host of different sources and types of data. Create insightful reports and presentations that clearly and succinctly highlight the actionable insights combined with business implications/strategic & tactical options. Work with the Pricing and Market Access Insight team to ensure that payer insights are integrated. Identify business needs proactively and build research/analysis with foresight. Develop and maintain market research budgets. Maintain effective relationships with contractors and other third-party vendors through oversight of the vendor management process. Lead KPI tracking for the brand, including brand equity and quantitative tracking. Leverage/apply AZ insight best practices as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree; preferably in a relevant field
- Pharmaceutical, Biotechnology or relevant experience preferred
- Hematology/ Oncology experience preferred
- Experience in primary market research and analytical experience applying various primary research techniques and secondary analysis to inform business decisions preferred
- Ability to influence laterally and vertically strongly preferred
- Pharmaceutical or consumer Insight experience highly desirable.
- Demonstrated success in applying various primary research techniques to inform strategy in the pharmaceutical industry
- Demonstrated ability to pull together insights from a variety of sources and develop strategic guidance for brand teams that result in a business decision or action
- Demonstrated ability to communicate at all levels
- Experience with common statistical analysis and techniques
- Thorough understanding of standard primary market research tools and techniques across all customer segments, i.e. HCP, Consumer
- Strong business and marketing acumen and excellent communication and interpersonal skills; consultative background preferred
- Ability to think strategically and tactically and coordinate the appropriate analytical expertise necessary to address a variety of different business issues
- Ability to navigate through a lot of information and to identify what’s most important and most actionable
- Ability to work in a collaborative and influencing fashion that drives to business action
- Ability to manage and lead numerous projects at the same time
- Ability to prioritize and manage demands of more than one project simultaneously
- Strong analytical skills with intimate knowledge of variety of secondary data sources (e.g., IMS, WK, IPSOS); direct data management and analysis experience preferred
Next Steps -- Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience -- it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.