Are you a self-starter that thrives in team environments? Do you enjoy leading a team into success? Are you able to prioritize multiple projects and tasks to accomplish goals on time? Is this the type of challenge you are looking for in your next career move?
Verenium, now part of BASF, is expanding its Industrial Enzymes Bioprocess Development team and we are seeking a hardworking, team leader to be part of our bioprocess development group working on the fermentation and downstream recovery of recombinant enzymes at pilot scale (40-500L).
The Bioprocess Development (BPD) Team Leader will be responsible for developing, planning and executing fermentation and recovery schemes, and assisting in the technology transfer to commercial scale. As part of this responsibility, the Team Leader will supervise up to four Process Development Associates and provide technical leadership as part of a cross-functional team which includes EH&S, Research, Regulatory, Quality, Engineering and Manufacturing teams. The 2nd shift team leader will be the voice and champion of industrial enzyme bioprocess execution during off-shift operations in the pilot plant; they will be instrumental in sharing the goals and intended purpose of experiments to the Process Development Associates.
The Pilot Plant currently operates 5/24 (including some holidays) and will be expanding to a 7/24 schedule. This is currently a Second shift position working Monday thru Friday 2:00pm – 11:00pm and as the Pilot Plant expands to 7/24, the schedule is expected to include a Saturday or Sunday workday.
Our BPD Team Leader will be responsible for:
• Maintaining 100% compliance with and demonstrated leadership of EH&S policies and procedures
• Directly supervising Process Development Associates including training, coaching and developing a high performance team
• Hands-on development and optimization of fermentation and downstream processes using 40L and 500L fermentors and membrane separations, filtration, and centrifugation
• Planning, executing, analysis, and documentation of process experiments
• Collaborating with fermentation and formulation scientists and R&D researchers to troubleshoot, problem-solve and participate in cross-functional projects
• Working independently and having solid judgement to make decisions with minimal onsite assistance
• Preparing and presenting technical reports, data summaries, protocols and other technical and regulatory documentation
• Preparation of operational SOPs and the training of team members on these SOPs
• Promoting and contributing to and reinforcing the Pilot Plant, Bioprocess Development, and Company policies and operating principles
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
- Requires a BS in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering or related degree.
- Minimum of 4 years of laboratory research including hands-on pilot plant experience in microbial fermentation and/or downstream processing.
- Work in industrial enzyme bioprocess development or manufacturing a plus.
- Must have previous experience supervising and managing others.
- Demonstrated leadership, training, organizational, and documentation skills.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Familiarity with cGMPs and 24hr shift schedules is preferred.
Primary Location: United States-California-San Diego
Function: REDE - Research & Development
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Evening Job
Organization: (GV)-Specialty Chemicals Research
Nearest Major Market: San Diego
Job Segment: Chemical Research, Law, Biochemistry, Engineer, Compliance, Engineering, Legal, Science
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.