The Clinical Research Directorate (CRD) is responsible for providing high level research in support to the NCI-Cancer Diagnostics Program (CDP) within the Division of Cancer Treatment and Diagnosis (DCTD). The Molecular Characterization Laboratory (MoCha) is designated for development of clinical assays suitable for medical research and diagnostic applications for DCTD sponsored national, extramural, clinical trials.
The Molecular Characterization Laboratory (MoCha) focuses on development and application of novel genomic assays for clinical applications. The Bioinformatics Analyst IV is responsible for leading bioinformatic effort for MoCha, including the analysis and interpretation of high throughput genomic data such as multi-platform next-generation sequencing data and microarray data sources. Provide expertise in biological interpretation of results, including mutation impact assessment, expression analysis, and prioritization of identified loci/genes lists, classification model building and determining correlation with clinical data derived from patients. Interact with investigators throughout entire experimental process from study design to result interpretation including manuscript preparation. Mentor lab staff in the application of basic data analysis and study design. Provide a source of knowledge as a shared team resource. This position will work closely with the Information Technology and the NCI Biostatics Program to provide computation resources to support data analysis and storage. Coordinate and integrate software applications and databases within the larger group including the Bethesda, Frederick, and Shady Grove NCI campuses.
- Possession of a Bachelor's degree in biomedical Science/ bioinformatics/ math/statistics/ computer related field from an accredited college or university.
- Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency.
- In addition to educational requirements, a minimum of eight (8) years related computational experience in a biological/medical research laboratory environment with a strong background in bioinformatics application development.
- The candidate must possess experience in next generation sequence analysis (NGS) (including quality metrics, mapping, variant calling and biological interpretation), microarray analysis and experience with analysis of large genomic data sets including integration with data available from public or private sources.
- Hands-on experience in data processing and analyzing sequencing, expression and other array data including quality and biological assessment are also essential.
- Proficiency in Unix (Linux), scripting and programming languages such as R, C, PERL, JAVA, SQL and bioinformatics tools and database management is essential.
- Statistical analysis of complex biological data is critical to success.
- Experience and demonstrated success in a team-oriented environment and excellent communication skills (written and oral) are also required.
- Ability to identify and solve complex problems.
- Proven knowledge of the biology of cancer demonstrated through peer reviewed publications is essential.
- This position is subject to obtaining a Public Trust Clearance.
- Ph.D. is preferred, Experience in algorithm development in NGS data analysis.
- In-depth understanding in molecular biology techniques, oncology and clinical research.
- Experience in data integration, database construction, application development and visualization.
- Experience in porting applications to web environment and working with workflow tools and applications also desired.
- Managerial experience is a highly desired skill.
Leidos Biomedical Research Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Leidos, is accelerating the development of new technologies and treatments for patients with cancer and AIDS. Leidos Biomedical is the operations and technical support contractor for the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research, a federal national laboratory.
Leidos Overview:Leidos is an applied solutions company focused on markets that are seeing converging business and technological trends, and address basic, enduring human needs: defense and national security, health and life sciences, and energy, engineering and infrastructure. The Company's approximately 20,000 employees serve customers in the U.S. Department of Defense, the intelligence community, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, other U.S. Government civil agencies and commercial health and engineering markets.
Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
Job Posting: Jun 13, 2014, 7:49:43 AM
Primary Location: United States-MD-FREDERICK
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Public Trust
Potential for Teleworking: No
Shift: Day Job
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Biotech, Statistics, Laboratory, Military Intelligence, Science, Data, Research, Government