The Molecular Characterization Laboratory (MoCha) focuses on development and application of novel genomic assays for clinical applications. MoCha is supporting one clinical study, MPACT, by performing NGS for patient treatment selection. Another large national study is planned, NCI-MATCH which MoCha will also support with NGS assay. Another major and ongoing project is the development of a national patient derived tumor model program. MoCha provides full genomic analysis of these models.
The Bioinformatics Analyst III is responsible for providing bioinformatics support to MoCha and the above projects including the analysis and interpretation of high throughput genomic data such as multi-platform next-generation sequencing data and microarray data sources. Provide biological interpretation of analysis results including mutation impact assessment, expression analysis, prioritization of identified loci/gene lists, classification model building and applying for prediction, and correlation with clinical data derived from patients. Interact with investigators throughout entire experimental process from design, monitor the instrument performance, data quality analysis, to results interpretation and manuscript preparation. Promote community of shared resources through team cooperation. The position will hold responsibilities for database management. On behalf of the Mocha group, will troubleshoot storage and hardware related issues by coordinating with the NCI Division of Cancer Treatment and Diagnosis (DCTD) Biometric Research Branch (BRB) and the Advanced Biomedical Computing Center (ABCC) which is a part of the Information Systems Program at Leidos Biomed. Will coordinate and integrate derived applications and databases with existing efforts within the larger group including the Bethesda, Frederick, Shady Grove and Gaithersburg NCI campuses.
Qualifications: BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Possession of a Bachelor's degree in biomedical science/bioinformatics/math/computer related field from an accredited college or university or four (4) years related experience in lieu of degree.
- Foreign degrees must be evaluated for US equivalency.
- In addition to education requirements, a minimum of six (6) years related experience in a biological research laboratory environment with a strong background in bioinformatics application development.
- The candidate must possess experience in next generation sequencing analysis, including data quality assessment, mapping and variant calling, microarray analysis including data quality assessment, normalization and gene expression analysis.
- Experience analyzing large datasets and mining public and commercial databases in an effort to identify biological meaning of data as it relates to treatment response or hypothesis generations is essential.
- Proficiency in Unix (linux), scripting and programming languages such as R, C, JAVA, SQL and common bioinformatics tools and databases is required.
- Strong statistical knowledge is essential to success.
- Proven experience and success in a team-oriented environment and excellent communication (writing and speaking) are required.
- This position is subject to obtaining a Public Trust Clearance.
- Master's degree.
- xperience in molecular biology technologies.
- Experience in data integration, database construction, application development and visualization.
- Experience in porting application to web environment and working with workflow tools and applications.
- Proven success in independent effort and delivering high quality data with biological relevance in a team environment.
Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Leidos, operates the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research, sponsored by the National Cancer Institute. Our focus is on basic and applied science in cancer and AIDS. We maintain an integrated suite of advanced technologies backed by scientific expertise in areas such as genetics, genomics, protein science, proteomics, bioinformatics, high-performance biomedical computing, and nanotechnology. We develop new technologies to support cutting-edge science, and we develop and manufacture clinical-grade pharmaceuticals for first-in-human trials.
Leidos Overview:Leidos is an applied solutions company focused on markets that are seeing converging business and technological trends, and address basic, enduring human needs: defense and national security, health and life sciences, and energy, engineering and infrastructure. The Company's approximately 20,000 employees serve customers in the U.S. Department of Defense, the intelligence community, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, other U.S. Government civil agencies and commercial health and engineering markets.
Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
Job Posting: Jun 18, 2014, 11:29:24 AM
Primary Location: United States-MD-FREDERICK
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Public Trust
Potential for Teleworking: No
Shift: Day Job
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Biotech, Genetics, Materials Science, Nanotechnology, Science, Research