The Advanced Biomedical Computing Center (ABCC) is a part of the Information Systems Program at Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The ABCC provides technology development, scientific consultation, collaboration and training, and high-performance computing support to the NCI and NIH scientists and staff. This position is part of the CCRIFX bioinformatics core within the ABCC, which provides support for investigators within the NCI Center for Cancer Research.
The Bioinformatics Analyst III is responsible for providing collaborative bioinformatics support including the analysis and interpretation of high throughput biomedical data such as multi-platform next-generation sequencing data, microarray data and proteomics/metabolomics data. Work effectively as a member of a team, following sound scientific practices and maintain effective documentation of activities and analysis. Design, develop and deploy robust analysis workflows that support analysis and delivery of NGS data as well as subsequent data integration, mutation impact assessment, gene expression analysis, prioritization of identified loci/gene lists, and identification of pathways and networks. Interact with investigators throughout the entire experimental process from design to results interpretation and manuscript preparation. Coordinate activities among other groups located at the Bethesda, Frederick, Rockville and Gaithersburg NCI campuses. Majority of time will be spent on the main NIH campus in Bethesda.
- Possession of Bachelor’s degree in life science/bioinformatics/math/physics/computer related field from an accredited college or university or four (4) years related experience in lieu of degree.
- Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. Equivalency.
- In addition to education requirements, a minimum of six (6) years experience in bioinformatics or life sciences.
- Proficiency in programming in at least two of the following (Java, C, R, Python, or PERL).
- Experience in next-generation sequencing data analysis.
- Experience in high-performance computing environments.
- Experience in data integration, data management and application development.
- Hands-on experience in processing and analyzing sequencing or microarray data including gene expression profiling or polymorphism discovery and impact assessment is essential.
- Proficiency in Unix (Linux), scripting and bioinformatics tools and databases is essential.
- Excellent teamwork, communication and documentation skills.
- This position is subject to obtaining a Public Trust Clearance.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Laboratory experience.
- Experience in molecular biology technologies.
- Experience in at least three of the following (statistics, metagenomics, ChIPSeq, RNASeq, ExomeSeq, DHS-Seq, microarray analysis).
- Management of large genomic data sets including integration with data available from public sources is highly desired.
- Application development experience.
- Prior customer support experience.
- Experience submitting datasets to public repositories.
Leidos Biomedical Research Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Leidos, is accelerating the development of new technologies and treatments for patients with cancer and AIDS. Leidos Biomedical is the operations and technical support contractor for the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research, a federal national laboratory.
Leidos Overview:Leidos is an applied solutions company focused on markets that are seeing converging business and technological trends, and address basic, enduring human needs: defense and national security, health and life sciences, and energy, engineering and infrastructure. The Company's approximately 20,000 employees serve customers in the U.S. Department of Defense, the intelligence community, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, other U.S. Government civil agencies and commercial health and engineering markets.
Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.