The Advanced Biomedical Computing Center (ABCC) is a part of the Information Systems Program at Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The ABCC provides technology development, scientific consultation, collaboration and training, and high-performance computing support to the NCI and NIH scientists and staff.
The Bioinformatics Analyst II will gather requirements, document and develop web resources for investigators in radiation oncology research in the NCI Center for Cancer Research (CCR). Integrate data with existing databases to provide analysis and query capabilities. Integrate various data mining and text mining capabilities into existing systems. Maintain existing websites and effectively prototype new web applications in secured environment. Develop capabilities to normalize, visualize, and analyze microarray and other omics data and subsequently incorporate them into the system. Work closely with biologists to publish original research. Coordinate different tasks and domains with different projects underway with scientists and other team members. Coordinate activities with other ABCC/NCI and CCR projects. Position will be located on the NIH campus in Bethesda.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree in biomedical science/bioinformatics/math/computer related field from an accredited college or university or four (4) years related experience in lieu of degree.
- Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency.
- In addition to education requirements, a minimum of four (4) years related experience in bioinformatics methods and web-based application development.
- Proficient in a Relational Database Management System like Oracle/MySQL with excellent SQL skills.
- Proficient in web programming using PHP and Java.
- Proficient in scripting languages such as Perl/Python.
- Experience using R. Experience with the Unix/Linux environment.
- Familiarity with genomic data and tools with ability to process large amounts of data efficiently.
- Demonstrated abilities in algorithm development.
- Ability to effectively work in multidisciplinary team environment.
- Excellent ability to self-direct activities and priorities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- This position is subject to obtaining a Public Trust Clearance.
- Master’s degree is preferred.
- Experience working with data mining technologies for the purpose of multi-domain data integration.
- Experience analyzing high dimensional biological data including sequencing, microarray and proteomics using commercial and open source applications.
- Microarray analysis experience ideally includes normalization, clustering, pathway analysis and statistical techniques and network visualization.
- Good working knowledge of public databases such as GO, Genbank, PubMed, Uniprot and Pathways databases including integration with local data sources.
- Familiarity with Natural Language Processing.
Leidos Biomedical Research Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Leidos, Inc., is accelerating the development of new technologies and treatments for patients with cancer and AIDS. Leidos Biomedical is the operations and technical support contractor for the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research, a federal national laboratory.
Leidos Overview:Leidos is an applied solutions company focused on markets that are seeing converging business and technological trends, and address basic, enduring human needs: defense and national security, health and life sciences, and energy, engineering and infrastructure. The Company's approximately 20,000 employees serve customers in the U.S. Department of Defense, the intelligence community, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, other U.S. Government civil agencies and commercial health and engineering markets.
Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
Job Posting: Feb 26, 2014, 9:00:38 AM
Primary Location: United States-MD-BETHESDA
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Public Trust
Potential for Teleworking: No
Shift: Day Job
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Biotech, Engineer, Database, Developer, Oracle, Science, Engineering, Technology