We are currently seeking a talented Development Scientist to join our Downstream Purification Department in Global Biological Development at Bayer HealthCare, Berkeley, CA. The personnel will be responsible for the development and process transfer of purification processes for the clinical/commercial manufacturing of therapeutic proteins. Duties will include planning and executing bench scale development and optimization, scale-up, technology transfer to manufacturing, and GMP manufacturing. Lead studies in downstream development and clinical manufacturing execution by applying a broad range of scientific knowledge and techniques.
• Demonstrates an in-depth broad scientific and operational knowledge in protein purification and applies this to process development and technology transfer to GMP environments including equipment selection and operation.
• Independently designs and conducts experiments, assays, or procedures of considerable complexity at different phases of development projects.
• Analyzes and interprets results, systems or procedures; troubleshoots failed experiments, assays or procedures; and makes recommendations and changes as appropriate.
• Applies knowledge of GMP requirements to process development and process transfer activities.
• Exercises sound technical judgment to solve scientific problems, overcomes obstacles and develops experimental approaches.
• Recommends new and innovative solutions to problems utilizing high degree of scientific creativity, independent thought and proficiency.
• Effectively communicates complex scientific findings in one-on-one discussions, and department and functional meetings
• Assists, counsels and coordinates project or departmental activities and ensures the flow of communications.
• Fosters team based approach to research, development, and production.
• Keeps abreast of current and new science and technological developments with regard to literature/publication within field of specialty and exploits them to continuously improve functional area capabilities.
• Write internal technical reports and ensures that laboratory notebooks are consistently updated, audited and well-maintained.
B.S. Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, or equivalent with a minimum of 8 years relevant experience.
M.S. Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, or equivalent with minimum of 6 years relevant experience.
PhD Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, or equivalent with minimum of 0-2 years relevant experience.