If you're inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions -- join us.
is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you'll have the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives every day. As one of the world's premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As an Automation Manager in Gaithersburg, MD, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives.
We're constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We're pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we're industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Automation Manager is responsible for the supervision of installation, maintenance, repair, service, monitoring and programming on components and systems for offices, R&D laboratories, Clinical Supply manufacturing for the Gaithersburg site and global sites when required.
Other responsibilities will include:
- Providing comprehensive facility systems, Siemens Apogee BMS (Building Management System) and Allen Bradley PLC (Programmable Logic Controller), to be available for immediate use.
- Providing departmental support for all electronic controls system as well.
- Supporting engineering controls installations and modifications to include installing, testing, maintaining, and repairing process controls and data acquisition systems.
- Providing technical guidance and direction to other technicians; assisting other technicians in performing their work as well as performing own work; and assisting Facility BMS and Reliability Managers and Supervisors with daily objectives and fill in for same when absent.
- Routine and complex preventive maintenance and repair on a variety of BMS and PLC process equipment, building systems and facility components and supporting structures.
- In depth and detailed maintenance work including installing, operating, and maintaining all equipment and components that support the facility which include system database servers, networking devices, BMS and PLC equipment.
- Making inspections and troubleshooting problems in the event of equipment failure and recommending necessary parts for effective repair.
Essential Job Functions:
- Manages enterprise systems and specializedengineers/technicians/outside
- Makes decisions that have extended and significant impact on work processes and functional operation of all production and site automation.
- Leads technical meetings and frequently interacts with senior internal and external representatives for critical system and enterprise operations.
- Works on complex technical issues and develops plans/solutions which are highly innovative.
- Guides the successful completion of major programs typically in a project leadership role.
- Erroneous decisions would typically result in a failure to achieve major organizational objectives.
- Provides management and oversight for Process Controls, Automation, and BuildingManagement/Monitoring
System to include design, integration, operation and routine/emergency maintenance service for the R&D laboratory, GPF (Gaithersburg Pilot Facility), office facilities local to the Gaithersburg campus as well as MedImmune global sites as needed.
- Subject matter expert (SME) on a variety of equipment, including DDC (Direct Digital Control), PLC (Programmable Logic Controller), computer networks and supporting infrastructure systems that deal with building systems, central utilities and facility components and responsible for the team's performance of routine and complex preventive maintenance and repair on these systems.
- Manages and supervises junior staff/team members. Provides technical guidance, training and direction to technicians assigned under your supervision in performing their work as well as performing own work.
- Ensures proper installation, operation and maintenance of all equipment and components that support the facility and system including: DDC field panels, PLC control panels, HMI's (Human-Machine Interface), programming logic, database software, control loops, floor level network controllers, sensors, controllers, low voltage control/power loops up to 277V, computer servers, network switches that support various equipment throughout the facility which includes HVAC, Process Water, Process Waste, Fire Panels, Lab, R&DFreezers/Refrigerators/Incubators,
GxP equipment and other systems.
- Creates and maintains end user required automatically and manually generated reports to support lab R&D, and GxP requirements.
- Ensures compliant service and repair equipment and systems to meet cGxP requirements throughout the Clinical Manufacturing and R&D Laboratory facilities.
- Develops training materials and other technical documentation as it relates to specific system and organization functions (SOP's).
- Writes functional, operational and user requirements; write testing protocols; and coordinate Information Systems, Validation and Quality Assurance efforts for automated cGMP system modifications and installations.
- Writes operational and installation manuals, drawings and notes to aid in future upgrades and/or installations.
- Reviews and provides preliminary information on new and current vendor selections for contracted services making recommendations to management.
- Leads and Supports engineering controls installations and modifications to include installing, testing, maintenance, and repair of process controls and data acquisition systems.
- Generates and reviews daily system alarm logs and ensure critical alarms were properly investigated and reported.
- Performs complex investigations in support of GxP quality Non-conformance reviews.
- Project Management over affected team and Initiation of VSCRs (Validated System Change Requests) as required to upgrade and maintain the Siemens Apogee Building Management and Alan Bradley PLC system.
Additional Job Functions:
- Proactively makes recommendations to current and proposed trending and monitoring points to improve monitoring.
- Conducts periodic system monitoring reviews with subject matter experts to ensure all required points are being monitored.
- Plans, develops and adjusts work methods and procedures to optimize BMS and PLC applications.
- Develops and maintains trends of all critical parameters; develop and analyze monthly trend reports; review analysis with RCM (Reliability Centered Maintenance) Engineer; and provide process improvement recommendations to Maintenance Supervisors and Managers.
- Ensures drawings of the BMS system architecture, field configuration, and field device data are accurately maintained.
- Determines correct stock levels of repair or replacement parts.
- Maintains documented PM (Preventive Maintenance) program for entire BMS system to ensure all components are properly operating, inspected, cleaned, tested and calibrated on a routine basis, and that all software is upgraded as needed.
- Provides training to Site Operations Technicians to increase knowledge of such systems.
Maintains current knowledge of both utility and process related equipment.
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of electronic theory and the application to Building management and controls systems.
- Maintains current training on PLC systems and HMIs with emphasis on Allen Bradley Systems, Digital Electronic Displays and Instrumentation, DH (Data Highway) Network, Device Net, and (Wonder Ware and RSView) SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) systems.
- Maintains current training on DDC systems with emphasis on Siemens Apogee Systems, controllers and computer networking.
- Works on assignments that are complex in nature where considerable judgment and initiative are required to resolve problems and make recommendations.
- Maintains current skills in programming of BMS and PLC software and P&ID control loops, Motor Controllers -- VFDs (Variable Frequency Drive) & DC drives, and Pneumatics.
- Maintains the integrity of a software backup and control program.
- Uses precision measuring instruments.
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Technology Field or Equivalent Experience w/course training and working in Pharma, Biotech or other highly regulated industry.
- 8-10 years' experience as subject matter expert in manufacturing automation with management leadership experience.
- Allen Bradley Training and/or Siemens Apogee Training
- Experience in computerized system validation and GAMP (Good automation Manufacturing Practices)
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively with customers or employees of organization. Conduct presentations for higher management.
- Ability to define problems, collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Capability to Utilize Various Programs Developed for Day to Day Operations & Specialty Maintenance PM Software, Various PLC Codes/Languages, Rockwell Asset Centre, Factory Talk
Applies extensive knowledge in specialized process control functions. Frequent use and application of technical standards, principles, theories, concepts and techniques. Primary contributor in development of new procedures and standards for automation.
Works on very complex technical problems and provides solutions which are highly innovative and forward looking.
Discretion / Latitude
Work is accomplished without appreciable direction. Exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignments. Completed work has long term impact.
Independent work as broad process SME. Adherence to regulations and compliance requirements.
Contribute to and drives the completion of milestones associated with specific projects. Failure to achieve specific results or erroneous decisions or recommendations may cause critical delays in program and production schedules and may result in the allocation of additional resources.
Represents organization as primary internal technical lead for contracts and projects with internal and external senior level management and project management teams. Cross functional and multi-site team lead, Inter-organizational and outside customer contacts on routine and complex matters.
Next Steps -- Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience -- it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.