Background on InterMune:
We are a biotechnology company focused on the research, development and commercialization of innovative therapies in Pulmonology and orphan fibrotic diseases. We were founded in 1998 and our Headquarters are located in Brisbane, California.
In Pulmonology, we are focused on therapies for the treatment of Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF), which is a progressive and fatal lung disease and a critically unmet medical need. (It is estimated that over 130,000 U.S. citizens suffer from IPF and 40,000 die each year from it, according to the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation.)
Esbriet® (pirfenidone) is the only approved treatment for IPF in Europe and Canada. It was approved in Europe in March 2011. It has been priced and launched by InterMune in 14 of 15 prioritized European countries, including Germany, France and Italy. Esbriet received approval in Canada in October 2012 and has been launched in the Canadian market.
Our Phase III pirfenidone study in the U.S. and additional territories, ASCEND, was completed in Q1, 2014. Our top-line results from ASCEND were positive, with pirfenidone being shown as effective in the treatment of IPF. InterMune is currently scaling up its commercial organization to prepare for a potential launch of Esbriet in the US.
We are a nimble, entrepreneurial team focused on meeting unmet medical needs through discovery of targeted, small-molecule therapeutics and biomarkers to treat and monitor serious pulmonary and fibrotic diseases. We are highly committed to improving the lives of patients with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.
Join our team making significant improvements in patients’ lives and building a world-class biotechnology organization!
Esbriet has the potential to be the first product approved in the US as a treatment for IPF, and as such, has the potential to address significant medical need for patients with IPF. With a potential launch in the near future, the US Commercial team is working to prepare for a successful launch of Esbriet. The US Marketing Team is being built out rapidly to support this critical launch.
Reporting to the Vice President, Marketing, the Associate Director will be responsible for leading the marketing operations team in support of InterMune’s marketing and sales teams.
The Associate Director, Marketing Operations, will have a significant impact on the US marketing function at InterMune, and, through this, on the launch of an important new therapy for IPF. The candidate will have the chance to successfully design and build new programs, systems and processes to support our home office and field-based teams.
Because we are just now building out the US Marketing function at InterMune, the successful candidate will have a rare opportunity to help build out the team from a ‘clean slate’. As such, we are seeking an entrepreneurial spirit, who enjoys building new teams and is a creative problem solver.
The candidate will oversee a range of critical initiatives, including but not limited to:
• Providing operational guidance and planning support to our promotional review committee (PRC)
• Work with technology / system vendors to support our review processes and marketing operations
• Oversee the fulfillment vendor, to ensure that our field-based teams are able to access promotional materials
• Tackle one-off projects that seek to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the marketing team
• Support marketing department budget and brand planning
• Provide support, as needed, around key meeting and congresses
• Manage administrative support for the marketing team
We seek a hard-working, strategic, creative team player to help launch a transformative therapy, and help grow the marketing function at InterMune. The ideal candidate will excel working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and can help create processes and systems to support the marketing and commercial team. The candidate should be committed to helping build a strong culture within the Marketing team.
• Bachelor degree required, advanced degree preferred;
• Knowledge of SOPs/guidelines, FDA and OPDP requirements for pharmaceutical products required;
• Previous experience managing / working with review teams in biotech / pharamceuticals required;
• Desire to work in a fast-paced, small bio pharma environment, where you will roll up your sleeves and be completely involved in all aspects of the business;
• Demonstrated strategic acumen to be able to design systems / processes within the health care setting;
• Previous managerial experience required;
• Desire to build and create processes and systems where they don’t exist today;
• Strong leadership experience, especially on cross-functional teams;
• Highly motivated, results driven individual with strong decision-making capabilities and demonstrated problem solving skills;
• Excellent communication, (written and oral) presentation and strong interpersonal skills;
• Strong project management skills to ensure timelines are met when integrating input from cross functional groups as well as the ability to prioritize and multitask;
• Ability to work in a matrix environment and to value the importance of teamwork;
• Minimum of 5+ years of pharmaceutical marketing responsibility, with 2 years Marketing Operations experience preferred;
• Launch experience strongly preferred;
• 10% travel required.
• Demonstrate commitment and support for company and department goals, objectives and procedures;
• Represent InterMune by developing collaborative relationships with industry colleagues and vendors;
• Demonstrate professionalism and adherence to moral, ethical and quality principles.
• Participate in corporate and departmental meetings;
• Comply with applicable regulations, GCP and corporate policies and procedures.