Location:Frederick, United StatesJob reference:
Sep. 24, 2016
If you're inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions -- join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you'll have the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives every day. As one of the world's premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As an Associate Scientist II in Frederick, MD, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives.
We're constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We're pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we're industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
As part of the Upstream (Cell Culture) Manufacturing Sciences and Technology (MS&T) organization, you will be responsible for supporting technology transfer of therapeutic protein (primarily monoclonal antibodies) processes from our development organization into one of the two mammalian production facilities located at the Frederick Manufacturing Center. You will be required to develop significant facility and unit operation knowledge in order to support successful technology transfers as well as support manufacturing deviation investigations and identification of process improvement opportunities. You will also act as a functional area subject matter expert to support technical requests from other functional organizations including, but not limited to, Quality Assurance, Quality Control, Manufacturing, and Supply Chain. Additionally, you may be required to plan and execute lab-scale studies and investigations in support of other core functional area responsibilities.
* Associate Scientist II: BS five or more years of experience or MS with three or more years of experience in a Science or Engineering field.
Scientist I: BS required with eight or more years of experience.
* Requires in-depth knowledge of cell culture and harvest operations, and Scale-up using engineering principles.
* Presentations to stakeholders, business execution excellence and multitasking.
* Good oral/written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
* Strong leadership capabilities, prioritization, flexibility and the ability to operate in a fast paced work environment.
* Problem solving and innovation.
* Candidate is expected to be an independent thinker and able to perform work responsibilities and determine technical objectives with modest direction.
* Effective skills for cross-functional collaborations with various internal functions and for working with external consultants/ suppliers.
* Plan, design and execute simultaneous projects that are complex and technically demanding within a specific area/field.
* Frequently requires significant interactions with internal and cross-functional staff.
* Initiate, plan, and execute (or direct) simultaneous investigations to resolve deviations, understand process trends, and/or improve process performance.
* Responsible for balancing day-to-day technical support for manufacturing and longer term projects, investigations, and project team responsibilities.
* Responsible for maintaining technical expertise in their assigned functional area and have a working knowledge of other interrelated functional areas.
* Able to support multiple projects at a given time.
* Compiles and analyses investigation findings and makes recommendations.
* Works under general supervision of higher level scientist or manager.
* Makes detailed observations, analyses data, and interprets results.
* Effectively presents results at internal meetings and external scientific meetings.
* Utilizes forward-looking perspective to contribute to "go/no go" decisions.
* Responsible for meeting project goals within time and budget constraints.
* May make recommendations on outside technologies for company to pursue.
* Mentor and guide the activities of junior scientists and associates.
* Develops solutions to complex problems requiring ingenuity and creativity.
* Applies knowledge of technical theories and principles on a broad base where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors.
* Work is performed with modest direction. Has latitude in determining technical objectives of assignment.
* Decisions or recommendations consistently result in achieving one or more key project objectives.
* Establishes contacts with outside centers of excellence in field of specialization and has contacts with customers.
* MS or PhD Preferred in a Science or Engineering field. PhD with four or more years of experience, MS with six or more years of experience.
* Familiarization with large-scale protein therapeutic manufacturing processes.
* Prior experience in the biotechnology industry especially with late stage commercialization.
Next Steps -- Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience -- it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.