If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions – join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As an Associate Scientist I/II, Upstream in Frederick, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
AstraZeneca/MedImmune currently has an opening for an Associate Scientist I / II within its Upstream group of Manufacturing Sciences and Technology (MS&T) in Frederick, MD. The role for this person will include/entail the following:
- You will conduct or participate in technically demanding projects within specific area or field relevant to Upstream Process and Manufacturing.
- You will serve as an Upstream SME with good knowledge on upstream process development, process transfer, and manufacturing
- Position is a hands-on, laboratory-based, role and/or troubleshoot process and equipment (e.g. bioreactor) issues arising on the manufacturing floor.
- You will work independently or in collaboration w/others.
- Projects are assigned by supervisor who is a higher-level scientist or manager.
- You will support scale-up and technology transfer of manufacturing processes to commercial facility process performance monitoring; implementation of process improvement strategies; and development of process models
- You will make detailed observations, analyzes data, and interprets results.
- You will prepare precise technical reports summaries, protocols, quantitative analyses, and maintains appropriate documentation.
- You will present findings at internal meetings and may present at external scientific meetings.
- You will serve as a major contributor to preparation of documents.
- You will serve as mentor and positive role model to other lab personnel.
- You could have supervisory responsibility.
Due to the nature of the job and the function of supporting 24/7 manufacturing operations, this position may require working occasional evenings, weekends, and/or holidays on a rotating basis. The ability to work these "off" hours when requested is a requirement.
- You will work under general supervision to meet project goals and generally conceives of the approach.
- You will frequently (regularly) develop new methods, technologies, and processes when necessary for project advancement, including Upstream scale-up and scale-down experiments and trouble-shooting.
- Your work is reviewed for soundness of technical approach.
- Your recommendations consistently result in project advancement.
- You contribute to technology development or support programs.
- You function effectively as a member of one or more project teams.
- Knowledge and experience with large scale upstream processes required including cell culture and harvest.
- Experience in GMP environment for commercial pharmaceutical production strongly preferred
For the Associate Scientist I position, the appropriate candidate should have either:
Bachelor's in a scientific field with 5-8 years of relevant experience, or a BS in Engineering with 2-4 years; or a Master's degree in science with 2-5 years of relevant experience, or an MS in Engineering with 0-2 years.
For the Associate Scientist II position, the appropriate candidate should have three (3) additional years of relevant experience.
- Full use and application of principles, theories, concepts and techniques in a limited area or field.
- Primary interaction is within the organization.
- Has some internal customer or outside supplier contacts on routine and non-routine matters.
- Must establish working relationships and credibility with department members and others within the company and may establish working relationships and credibility with individuals outside the company.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.