If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions – join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As Associate Scientist I in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Department of Infectious Disease and Vaccines at MedImmune, LLC is seeking a broadly-skilled, productive researcher to support multiple projects at various stages of the biologic product development pipeline. As a member of the Infectious Disease group, you will investigate new approaches towards eliciting an anti-tumor response. Specifically you will be part of a team to evaluate novel vaccine candidate platforms for the prevention or treatment of cancer.
You will be a well-organized and highly productive bench scientist who can design and execute experiments efficiently and interpret data in the context of multidisciplinary project teams. The position requires the ability to embrace new technologies quickly and the ability to perform in a fast-paced, matrix-structured work environment. You will have general knowledge of the fields of virology, molecular biology and immunology.
- Degree in virology, molecular biology, immunology, or other related field.
- MS degree plus two to five years relevant experience in industry or academia
- BS degree plus three to eight years relevant experience in industry or academia
- Strong hands-on experience with cell culture and viral propagation
- Experience with molecular biology techniques such as cloning, site-direct mutagenesis, DNA isolation and purification, RT-PCR and qPCR
- Strong assay development skills
- Experience performing standard laboratory procedures for the study of protein expression such as Western blot, ELISA and immune-staining techniques
- Willingness to work with BSL-2 and BSL-2* infectious agents (vaccination will be required)
- Hands-on experience with DNA and/or RNA viruses
- Experience in working with animal models for oncology or chronic viral disease
- Experience in evaluating immunological responses to viral infection by various means such as multi-color flow cytometry, EliSpot, MSD and/or Luminex
- Ability to prepare and maintain precise protocols and appropriate documentation
- Ability to conceive experimental designs, interpret data, propose improvements to and troubleshoot experimental protocols
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organized with the ability to develop focused work packages, prioritize based on defined goals and work both independently and as part of a team
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law