If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions – join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As an Associate Director Therapeutics Areas, Access Services in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
As a part of AstraZeneca (AZ) US Access Services team, the Associate Director Therapeutic Areas (TAs) reports into Sr. Director of US Access Services and is responsible for developing, maintaining, and expanding therapeutic area and brand relationships. This includes identifying brand needs, overseeing the development of strategic brand plans, and serving as strategic advisors to brands and other stakeholders on patient access programs, reimbursement support, and customer initiatives. It requires deep understanding of support program strategies and tactics that simplify patient access to medicines, strong relationship management skills, communication skills, and a proven track-record of disciplined execution. It also involves coaching program managers and evaluating their performance and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders. You will be accountable for assessing major therapeutic area/brand needs and challenges, and provide strategic guidance around services and programs across patient journey. You will participate in the overall Access 360 strategic planning process and will recommend and implement TA/Brand Access Services engagements across lifecycle. The Associate Director Therapeutics Areas directs, builds and leads teams to focus on execution of access activities and effectively manages all aspects of the contract creation and implementation process, including resource allocation and management of internal and external customer expectations. You will be accountable for development and implementation of tactical brand plans and budgets and ensuring that recommendations meet TA/brand requirements, while also reviewing and approving major TA/brand deliverables. You will also create and lead quarterly business reviews and provide insights focused on maximizing patient access throughout the product or program lifecycle and are accountable for the recruitment, mentoring and evaluation Sr. Program Managers. You will also spearhead the evaluation process, ensure performance in key areas and address personnel issues.
- Expert knowledge and understanding of all aspects of access and reimbursement patient support, field reimbursement, and affordability programs
- Must demonstrate knowledge of the issues, trends and needs as these relate to healthcare reimbursement and the managed care environment
- Complies with all laws, regulations and policies that govern the conduct of MedImmune’s activities related to Patient Access Programs
- Proven track record of meeting or exceeding goals and objectives
- Business travel, by air or car, is required for regular internal and external business meetings
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (MBA or other related graduate-level degree is preferred).
- A minimum of 8 years' related work experience managing business responsibilities and patient support programs for brands in the specialty pharmaceutical space
- Previous experience in other functions within the pharmaceutical, biotech or related industry is preferred, e.g., field account management, field reimbursement, managed care marketing, customer service & hub operations, etc.
- Strategic planning and execution
- Proven experience developing and fully executing programs within the biotech environment
- Effective organizational management
- Strong relationship management skills
- Building and leading teams
- Analytical thinking and problem solving
- Financial budget management
- Proficient competency using Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple parallel projects
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.