Portola Pharmaceuticals, Inc. was founded in 2003 and is headquartered in South San Francisco, Calif. We completed an initial public offering in May 2013 and are traded on the Nasdaq Stock Market under the symbol PTLA. We have approximately 80 employees. At Portola, our goal is to build an enduring biopharmaceutical company with compounds from our own research efforts that advance the care of patients in the areas of thrombosis (blood clots), other hematologic disorders and inflammation. Our current development-stage portfolio includes wholly-owned and partnered products. Our two lead programs, betrixaban and andexanet alfa (PRT4445) each address significant unmet medical needs in the area of thrombosis. Our two other product candidates, PRT2070 and PRT2607, are orally available kinase inhibitors with unique pharmacologic properties targeting hematologic (blood) cancers and inflammatory disorders.
The Portola Pharmacology Department seeks an Associate Director, Pharmacology, who will be responsible for leading the Pharmacology group and developing program-specific animal models with a focus in the areas of thrombosis, inflammation and oncology. He/she will also interact with the head of DMPK to design and execute rodent PK studies, as well as short-term safety tolerability studies, and outside consultants to design toxicology studies.
Essential/Primary Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:
• Establish and develop project relevant animal models
• Design, implement and execute PK/PD and biomarker efficacy studies
• Prepare and deliver technical reports and documents in preparation for regulatory submissions
• Mentor, train, manage and motivate direct reports as well as consultants to efficiently and effectively deliver on departmental and company goals
• Maintain a high-functioning and operationally efficient facility that adheres to AALAC and IACUC guidelines
• Apply broad knowledge and experience in animal models to evaluate possible in-license opportunities
• PhD in Immunology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry or Pharmacology, or the equivalent of combined education and experience
• Minimum of eight (8) years of post - PhD experience, or 15 years with a BS/MS. Including at least four (4) years of mentoring and enhancing scientific staff performance to maximize group potential
• Proven accomplishments in the fields of thrombosis/hemostasis, oncology and inflammation with success in advancing novel drugs into human clinical trials. Candidates with biotechnology industry experience in small molecule and biologics drug development projects preferred
• Clear history of achievement with peer reviewed publications in leading scientific journals is highly desired
• Track record of establishing and sustaining academic collaborations
• Technically proficient, hands-on, creative, innovative, and comfortable working in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary, high-delivering team environment
• Excellent presentation and communication skills (oral and written)
• A vigilant commitment to proactive problem solving
• Accountability for the performance and development of employees and the achievement of individual, department and company goals
• Ability to appropriately inform and escalate risks upward
• Demonstrates excellent leadership ability
• Our company overview and history: http://www.portola.com/Company-Overview
• This position requires all candidates to present a scientific seminar
• Please include a cover letter that highlights your qualifications and matches our requirements and send resumes to email@example.com
• Recruiters: Please click this link for more information: http://www.portola.com/Recruiters-and-Vendors.