Vertex is a global biotechnology company that aims to discover, develop and commercialize innovative medicines so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. In addition to our clinical development programs focused on cystic fibrosis, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs aimed at other serious and life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and commercial offices in the United States, Europe, Canada and Australia. For four years in a row, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Associate Director, In Vitro Electrophysiology / Pharmacology
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated is offering an exciting opportunity for an exceptional Senior Biologist to join our ion channel drug discovery team in San Diego. We are seeking a motivated, creative and innovative Electrophysiologist/Pharmacologist with a proven track record in leading functional teams evaluating the pharmacology of ion channel targets. The successful candidate will have demonstrated expertise in all aspects of functional Biology leadership, including the design, development and execution of in vitro pharmacology assays with a focus on electrophysiology assays, to support compound progression, optimization and mechanism of action. The ideal candidate must possess the ability to direct and manage a team of scientists, coordinate activities across multiple drug discovery programs, and drive the development and incorporation of novel technologies. In addition, the candidate must work well in a matrix organization, make clear decisions in a fast-paced drug discovery environment and be highly proficient in both verbal and written communication to audiences with diverse scientific, professional and drug discovery backgrounds.
- Ph.D. in Pharmacology, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology or related field with minimum of 10 years' experience in a drug discovery environment
-Demonstrated success in leading functional pharmacology teams focused on ion channel target drug discovery with the ability to multi-task and make critical decisions
-Strong scientific and technical leadership in the design, execution, analysis and interpretation of a broad range of ion channel pharmacology/electrophysiology assays to drive compound progression, elucidate mechanism of action at the molecular and cellular level, and understand disease biology
- Ability to critically analyze and interpret data, and effectively document and communicate results to diverse audiences
- Successful track record in managing functional or cross-functional research groups, including Ph.D. Scientists and Research Associates
- Established track record of developing, mentoring and effectively building team commitment
- Experience with advancing drug candidates to development stages a plus
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly-matrixed work environment
- A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.