Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated is currently looking for an Associate Director to join the Global Commercial Excellence team in Boston, MA. The Associate Director will report to the head of the Global Commercial Excellence function which resides within the Global Marketing group.
Vertex’s Commercial Leadership Team (CLT) recognized Commercial Excellence as a critical, multi-year program to enhance the way we manage our products and develop our talent. The Commercial Excellence team initiated work in Q1 2014 and is focused on three primary objectives, grounded within the marketing function:
The Commercial Excellence team is responsible for the vision, creation, launch and implementation of these key initiatives in 2014 and beyond:
* Marketing Competency Model: A competency model designed by marketers for marketers that is predominately used for a marketer’s technical skill development. We partner closely with HR to design, develop and implement tools that accompany this competency model.
* Marketing Excellence: The vision for this is 2 fold; a series of instructor led trainings and/or workshops customized for developing marketers at Vertex, secondly content selection for dynamic e-platform that houses learning modules and resource tools. This multi-channel approach aids a marketer or aspiring marketer in developing their skills identified in the competency model.
* Marketing Innovation: In 2014 we will take a leading role within the organization in the identification and sharing of marketing innovation and best practices. The goal of this initiative is to build a foundation of marketing innovation that translates into operational practice and business impact.
The Commercial Excellence team works with numerous functions and geographies, leading change management initiatives at both global and regional levels. With this in mind, the AD, Commercial Excellence role is highly visible and challenging, requiring a motivated, confident and accomplished individual capable of inspiring change and innovation.
* 10 years business and commercial experience. Extensive experience within the commercial function, with a minimum of 3 years in a pharmaceutical marketing function, ideally spanning 2 or more roles in marketing
* Bachelor’s degree
* Expert in driving systemic change and innovation across a large, matrixed organization, often without formal authority, and will thrive on this challenge;
* A proven track record of driving results through strong partnership with other functions and geographies;
* A track record of inspiring resistant individuals to become open to change, designing/providing effective tools as needed to lead these individuals through the change process;
* International experience is preferred, as this is a global role
* Experience in successfully executing tactics that align to the right marketing mix and coordination of tactical plans to maximize the impact of the strategies
* Track record in understanding, developing, aligning and monitoring the components of a product strategy, directly or indirectly
* Experience developing metrics and KPIs for programs and tactical initiatives
* Demonstrated ability to build cross-functional relationships, navigate the organization and influence individuals at all levels
* Successful experience collaborating with project and functional leaders, influencing the overall strategic direction of a project
* A cross functional perspective is required, the individual should also have a bias toward communication and education
* An inspirational persona, capable of generating enthusiasm and followers;
* Ability to quickly gain trust and respect of peers and senior leadership
Vertex creates new possibilities in medicine. Our team discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapies so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. Vertex scientists and our collaborators are working on new medicines to cure or significantly advance the treatment of hepatitis C, cystic fibrosis, rheumatoid arthritis and other life-threatening diseases. Founded more than 20 years ago in Cambridge, Mass., we now have ongoing worldwide research programs and sites in the United States, United Kingdom and Canada. Vertex has consistently been recognized as one of the industry's top workplaces by leading publications such as Science magazine, The Boston Globe, Boston Business Journal, San Diego Business Journal and The Scientist. For more information and to view Vertex's press releases, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
See Job Description