MedImmune is seeking an Associate Director or a Director to lead a pharmacology group within the Oncology Research department.
* Lead and manage teams of scientists in Gaithersburg, U.S. in conducting in vitro and in vivo pharmacology to advance biologic leads from preclinical discovery into early clinical development.
* Manage performance and development of a group of about 15 individual scientists for maximal success and motivation.
* Accountable for design, execution, and quality of in vivo pharmacology studies, including efficacy, pharmacokinetic, mechanism of action studies, and the discovery, development, and use of biomarkers to guide clinical research.
* As part of the senior oncology leadership team, apply expertise in cancer biologics drug discovery to influence overall Oncology Research strategy and project progression.
* Serve as Oncology Research representative on preclinical and clinical project teams, contributing to design and planning of multiple individual projects.
* Develop new approaches to continuously improve quality and speed of cancer biologics drug development, for example by implementing new in vivo cancer models.
* Establish and manage external collaborations and contribute to assessment of external business alliance and in-licensing opportunities.
This position cab be filled at either the Associate Director or the Director level. The qualified candidate will have a demonstrated record of leading cancer pharmacology teams to advance leads and candidate drugs into clinical development.
This should include:
* Excellent management skills, including the ability to set high but reachable goals, define priorities, manage individual performance, and infuse the team with a sense of purpose and urgency.
* Ability to manage teams at multiple sites including willingness to travel and spend up to 20% of time working at other sites.
* Good at figuring out the processes necessary to get things done, knows how to organize people and activities and how to measure progress.
* Previous industry experience with a record of effective project leadership and a good understanding of the drug development process from lead identification through early clinical development.
* Experience in the design and execution of efficacy, pharmacokinetic, mechanism of action studies, and preclinical biomarker discovery and development.
* Extensive experience with in vivo cancer models, including tumor xenograft models, primary tumor models, and syngeneic and genetically engineered mouse models.
* Expertise in multiple fields of cancer biology, such as cancer immunology, cancer stem cells, tumor cell survival, and drug resistance.
* A strong knowledge of oncology indications (solid tumors and hematological malignancies), standard of care treatment, and patient subsets.
* A track record of innovation and the implementation of new research methods and approaches.
* A strong publication record and experience in giving presentations at scientific conferences.
* Experience in preparing documents and reports for internal governance committees and regulatory agencies, including INDs.
* Ability to initiate and manage external collaborations and engage key opinion leaders.
* Strong interpersonal, influencing and collaboration skills to work in a team-oriented, matrix environment, and the ability to work through conflicts.
* Outstanding verbal and written communication abilities.
* Ability to effectively cope with change and act without complete information
* A passion for drug discovery and sense of urgency to find new medicines to benefit cancer patients.
Ph.D. in pharmacology, biology, or a related field with a minimum of 10+ years of industry experience in cancer drug discovery. Candidates lacking appropriate education coupled with industry experience need not apply.
MedImmune, LLC. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
MedImmune does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on MedImmune's approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to MedImmune by search/recruiting agencies not already on MedImmune's approved agency list shall become the property of MedImmune and if the candidate is subsequently hired by MedImmune, MedImmune shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.
My company shares my passion for helping to improve human health around the world.
This is My MedImmune
Those who join MedImmune feel a sense of ownership about their future. They thrive with a recognized leader in the biotechnology industry and the wholly-owned subsidiary of AstraZeneca plc. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance science, technology and medicine to develop products designed to help people live better lives. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, integrity and growth opportunities... that encourages both individual contribution and collaborative entrepreneurial thinking. Our products and/or product candidates are designed to address areas of need in infection, oncology, respiratory disease and inflammation, cardiovascular/gastrointestinal disease and neuroscience. Explore a MedImmune career as we strive to better more lives, more often, around the world.