Associate Director/Director – Drug Delivery - (Gaithersburg, MD)
If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions – join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As an Associate Director/Director – Drug Delivery in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
This candidate will be ultimately accountable for the identification, evaluation and integration of drug delivery technologies within MedImmune.
This is a high profile and highly visible role, the role holder is the global figure head for these activities and will ensure that the group has identity and is recognized as playing a key contribution to the future success of MedImmune.
The candidate must be able to effectively incorporate input from multiple stakeholders and drive consensus on 'best answer' for an asset or a technology. In addition the leader will be expected to co-ordinate drug delivery activities across three MedImmune R&D sites, and aligning them with the global AstraZeneca organization. Working closely with Research and influencing decision on development of assets via novel drug delivery technologies is a key must for this position holder
The Drug Delivery leader is expected to provide appreciable direction to a group of scientists with the appropriate skills to help deliver innovative drug delivery capability and is accountable for the utilization of resources to meet deliverables. Job responsibilities and complexity would grow quickly and the job holder would be expected to be effective immediately. The role holder would be expected to perform work without appreciable direction and determine scientific objectives independently. Demonstrating sense of urgency, proactive thinking and multitasking are essential to this leadership role. An understanding of the regulatory environment and how it influences the introduction and approval of drug delivery technologies would be an advantage.
- Has strong technical competence and credibility in the field of Drug Delivery and is able to give assured technical direction.
- Background in the areas of sustained release (parenteral, biologics) and nanotechnologies is a required.
- Experience in the area of drug targeting (active and passive) and familiarity with parenteral injection devices is highly desired.
- Strong background in nanoparticle technologies, dendrimers and other nano particle constructs and characterization is a must for this role
- Primary responsibility is to identify and prioritize technologies, requiring working knowledge of Drug Delivery technology uses, limitations, etc, specifically the application of these technologies to biopharmaceuticals.
- The role holder must have clear project management capabilities in order to ensure that the cross-functional technology assessments and other processes are delivered on-time and of high quality.
- PhD in Pharmaceutics, Materials Science, polymer chemistry, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, or related field with 11-15 years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry.
- The position also requires that the technology needs of the organization are prioritized and develop a sound business case for new technologies.
- Good communication skills, strong interpersonal skills are essential, demonstrated leadership capabilities, organization, flexibility and the ability to operate in a fast paced environment are an integral part of this position.
- Problem solving and innovation are also fundamental qualities for this role.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.