Theravance Biopharma is a biopharmaceutical company with a pipeline of internally discovered product candidates and a focus on the discovery, development and commercialization of new medicines across a number of therapeutic areas. We are leveraging our proprietary insight of multivalency in drug design to discover breakthrough medicines in areas of significant unmet medical need. We are competitively positioned with a deep and diverse pipeline and multiple successful partnerships and continue to provide patients with medicines that make a difference.
At Theravance Biopharma we believe in our people. Our continued success in drug discovery relies on the contribution of each individual member of our staff. Their ability to collaborate and innovate is the key driver for our culture of scientific excellence: Think it through, find a way, get it done – win together! Come join our team.
The Department of Biology is currently seeking a motivated, industry-experienced biologist to head our Gastrointestinal Inflammation group. Depending on the candidate’s qualifications this can be either an Associate Director or Director level position. The position reports directly to the Head of Biology and offers opportunities to be involved in all phases of drug discovery and development. The successful candidate will have direct managerial responsibility for a group of biologists and will lead the design, execution and interpretation of in vitro, in vivo and experimental pathology studies. These studies will include target validation, biology support, biomarker discovery and clinical indication support for our GI inflammation programs. The successful candidate will be responsible for promoting a high level of motivation and productivity in the team and takes responsibility for the development and growth of his/her direct reports. The successful candidate will also be expected to serve as the Biology representative on drug discovery teams or, dependent on level of experience and expertise, lead drug discovery teams. In addition, as key member of our Biology Leadership Team, s/he will participate in program biology reviews across different therapeutic areas. The candidate will have ample opportunity to integrate their knowledge and experience in a creative and innovative way to help drive our drug discovery programs. As an expert in his or her field, the successful candidate will propose new project ideas to shape the next generation of research projects. There is significant opportunity for professional growth and advancement.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
This position requires a Ph.D. in biological sciences with expertise in one or more of the following areas: Immunology / Inflammation, Microbiome or Gastrointestinal Physiology. Greater than 8 years of research experience in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical setting is required. The ideal candidate will have a track record of success and a deep understanding of the etiology of GI inflammation.
• Proven scientific and technical leader with track record of contribution to drug discovery programs.
• Solid understanding of GI inflammation as well as basic biology, pharmacology, and cell physiology.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Desire to work in a fast-paced environment and proven ability to focus on activities that enable decision making.
• Familiarity with experimental approaches to assess pharmacologic modulation gastrointestinal diseases, spanning in vivo, in vitro and translational techniques is necessary.
• Experience with biomarker discovery and validation is a plus.
• Strong interpersonal skills and track record of managerial responsibility.
• Excellent organizational and communication skills to manage multiple projects in a matrix research organization.
• The successful candidate will be an ambitious self-starter, be motivated to apply his/her skills to meet diverse project needs, and enjoy working in a dynamic team environment.