Astellas is the bright spot in the pharmaceutical industry -- not just because of what we do, but in the way we do it. If you are looking for a company where you can change a life, make a dream come true, and light the way for a better tomorrow, Astellas is the place where you can shine.
We offer a different kind of work culture. A high standard of ethics is mandatory. Quality is our pledge. Diversity is valued. Individual initiative is rewarded. Astellas offers an environment where our employees can make a real difference. Come, shine with us!
Astellas is announcing an Assistant Director, Strategic Field Force Deployment and Sales Force Effectiveness (SFE) opportunity in Northbrook, IL.
Purpose & Scope:
The Assistant Director, Strategic Field Force Deployment and Sales Force Effectiveness (SFE) plays a critical role in leading a team to develop effective selling strategies that ensure optimal utilization of APUS details, samples and other promotional resources in collaboration with applicable co-promotion partners, maximum value of in-line product sales and successful new product launches across the commercial organization. The role is accountable for supporting strategic call planning/targeting, developing and monitoring relevant sales force effectiveness metrics, conducting ongoing and ad hoc analyses, and providing strategic business insights and actionable recommendations to Marketing and Sales Leadership to maximize the value of APUS' sales teams and those of its co-promotion partners, if applicable.
In addition to maximizing the call plan effectiveness, this position is responsible and accountable for developing and enhancing reporting tools to support critical business decision-making at all levels of the sales force and for maintaining the optimal sales force size, structure and balanced territory alignments. This role will lead the development of effective communications and training materials to maximize the value and use of field sales reports, call plans and various reporting tools designed to support strategic business decision-making. This position will seek opportunities to optimize processes for creating and disseminating actionable, value added franchise reports, sales analyses, key metrics, dashboards, co-promotion reports, and performance scorecards to meet business needs.
This is a key role with significant organizational influence that requires the application of best practices and/or the development of them. This position will work closely with strategic business partners including Sales, Marketing, Marketing Sciences, Data Governance, Commercial Learning & Development, Health Systems, Incentive Compensation (IC), Information Systems (IS), Legal, Compliance, Human Resources and co-promotion partners.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Establish the strategic direction of the team and ensure its alignment with corporate long-term goals, commercial business needs and overall department objectives; Supervise team to tactically implement the strategic direction developed in agreement with the
• Collaborate with cross-functional teams to align on sales and marketing objectives for strategic customer targeting, call planning, customer valuation and segmentation across APUS' entire product portfolio; manage related vendor activity to ensure requirements, goals, timelines, and budgets are met. Develop, communicate and implement quarterly call plans including performance metrics related to call plan execution and adherence across product and sales teams.
• Direct the design, implementation, and administration of Company call plans for assigned therapeutic areas, ensuring synergies with co-promotion partners and alignment with internal stakeholders. Provide analysis-driven recommendations on strategic targeting for assigned therapeutic areas to drive growth and profitability for the Company.
• Establish strategic direction to optimize customer coverage related to the co-promotion of APUS products; collaborate with co-promotion partners to align on key performance metrics to monitor joint sales force effectiveness and maximize sales of the related product(s).
• Optimize investments in product details/samples to maximize sales performance across products and sales teams; provide actionable insights and recommendations to maximize the value of the sales teams and improve operational effectiveness.
• Develop key performance and sales force effectiveness metrics, dashboard and sales performance reports, and advanced analytics for assigned sales teams/products incorporating Astellas and co-promotion sales and field activity, promotional effectiveness, customer targeting, and ongoing/ad hoc analytical requests to assist sales and marketing in focusing on key performance drivers.
• Conduct comprehensive analysis to identify new business opportunities, glean strategic business insights and develop/communicate actionable recommendations. Analyze in-licensing opportunities for strategic fit and determine field resource requirements.
• Consult with field sales management and recommend opportunities for maximizing the effectiveness of reporting tools through education about their value in territory management decision- making; Train sales force on effective use of reporting tools.
• Manage the field sales force alignment maintenance process; Analyze sales potential and rep capacity to ensure optimal sales force size, structure, balanced territories and optimal customer coverage.
• Ensure that the call plans and HCP specialty business rules are in compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements.
• Provide analytic, sales reporting, strategic customer targeting and performance measurement to support Health Systems and formulary pull-through programs.
• Interact with other operations members as well as IC team to outline and review business rules and ensure alignment/targeting and IC plan synchronization.
• Maximize value of in-line product sales and co-promotion agreements.
• Management of function within approved operating budget .
• Achievement of Sales & Marketing goals.
• Effective management and development of a staff up to 4 people.
• Quality of strategic and operational support based on feedback from key customers and cross-functional colleagues including quality of the collaboration.
• Accuracy, timeliness, effectiveness and ease of use of production and ad hoc sales performance reporting, dashboards, advanced analytics and strategic customer targeting/call planning based on feedback from key customers and cross-functional colleagues.
• Optimal use of field sales teams measured by key performance metrics including customer reach/frequency, workload balance across sales territories and sales performance.
• Number, accuracy and timeliness of in-licensing opportunities successfully evaluated.
• Ability to meet/exceed established key milestones related to assigned major projects.
• Quality/timeliness of insight generation and development of actionable recommendations based on feedback from key customers and cross-functional colleagues.
Reports to Director Strategic Field Force Deployment and Incentive Compensation
This position requires extensive collaboration within Sales Operations. as well as with cross-functional colleagues in Sales, Marketing, Health Systems, Marketing Operations and IS. Additional collaboration is required with Business Development, Strategic New Product Planning and co-promotion partners. This position may have direct supervisory responsibility of up to four people.
• Bachelor's degree in business-related field.
• Minimum 10 years of pharmaceutical sales, sales operations, analytical or related experience that includes data analysis and reporting or 5 years with Masters degree and related experience required, with demonstrated success in managing related teams and projects of increasing size and complexity.
• Possess strong interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees including senior management.
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
• Excellent verbal/written communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to multi-task.
• Excellent organizational, planning and project management skills with a strong attention to detail and ability to effectively manage multiple cross-functional projects simultaneously.
• Ability to work independently in a dynamic fast-paced environment, with minimal supervision.
• Demonstrated ability in taking initiative to proactively evaluate existing sales strategies and recommend changes, when appropriate.
• Keen analytical mind with superior problem solving and technical skills, reflecting in-depth knowledge of various secondary databases and their limitations.
• Sound experience with data visualization, trending/forecasting, optimal resource utilization.
• Experience with call plan development, territory alignment and customer/product segmentation.
• Master's degree preferably in business or sciences.
• Pharmaceutical industry experience.
• Working knowledge of sales data sources, e.g., Source Healthcare Analytics (SHA), IMS Health, and SDI Health.
• Working knowledge of various statistical modeling techniques and their application within complex analytical projects (e.g., regression/promotion response modeling, ROI, correlation coefficient, etc.).
• Superior understanding of other Marketing Science functions (i.e., primary/secondary market research, forecasting, competitive intelligence and secondary data sources) to maximize the quality and effectiveness of Sales Analytics deliverables.
• Working knowledge of one or more programming techniques such as SAS or Excel VBA macro.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled