Novo Nordisk (NC)
3612 Powhattan Road
Novo Nordisk is the world's leading diabetes care company and the only company that provides a complete portfolio of insulin analog treatments and insulin delivery devices that respond to each stage of the diabetes life cycle. In addition, Novo Nordisk has a leading position in hemostasis management, growth hormone therapy and hormone therapy for women.
Novo Nordisk's ambition is to defeat diabetes, working as a catalyst to advance diabetes care through awareness, prevention, and education and to be at the forefront of research and development in other areas of healthcare where it can make a significant difference.
Triple Bottom Line
Novo Nordisk conducts its activities in a financially, environmentally, and socially responsible way as part of its underlying business principle, The Triple Bottom Line. This principle is the foundation of the Novo Nordisk Way of Management, which holds Novo Nordisk to the highest performance standards.
Novo Nordisk Highlights
• A heritage in diabetes care for more than 80 years
• World's largest makers of insulin
• More than 4,600 employees are engaged in research and development
• In 2005, spent DKK 5,085 million in R & D
• Operates manufacturing facilities in six nations, including the United States
• Operates three research and development facilities worldwide (Denmark, US, China)
• Rated as a healthcare leader on the global Dow Jones Sustainability World Index as well as the pan-European Dow Jones STOXX Sustainability Index (global recognition)
• Named number one best place to work among large companies in NJ by NJBIZ magazine
• Global headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark
• US headquarters in Princeton, NJ
• Employs an estimated 27,000 people in 81 countries
• Markets its products in 179 countries
• Employs 3900 people in the US
• Insulin manufacturing facility in Clayton, NC
Novo Nordisk's B shares are listed on the stock exchanges in Copenhagen and London. Its ADRs are listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol 'NVO'.
Total sales in 2008 were: $8,935 million (DKK 45,553m)
Net income-as reported in 2008: $1,892 million (DKK 9,645m)
Earnings per share-as reported: $3.07(DKK 15.66)
Dividends paid per share: $1.18(DKK 6.00)
History of Novo Nordisk
In the 1920s, two small Danish companies began producing insulin, which had just been discovered by a team of Canadian scientists. Nordisk Insulin laboratorium was founded in 1923.
A year later, Novo Terapeutisk Laboratorium was born, and began producing "Insulin Novo" and a special syringe. Over the decades, these two companies grew to be global leaders in insulin production. In January 1989, Novo and Nordisk decided to join forces to form a new company called Novo Nordisk A/S.
Novo Nordisk (NC)