ORLANDO, FL--(Marketwire - February 21, 2011) - (HIMSS) -- DICOM Grid
today announced that its flagship cloud-based medical imaging management platform provided authorized physicians and healthcare facilities with access to more than 2 million imaging studies during its first year of production. The patented, vendor-neutral platform enables secure easy access and sharing of high-fidelity and low-latency images, data and reports to facilitate timely diagnosis, treatment and care collaboration.
Often for the cost of storing and archiving imaging studies in inaccessible data silos, DICOM Grid allows authorized users to immediately identify and access all related prior studies regardless of where or when they were created and this information can be transferred within and across facilities. This not only helps pinpoint and accelerate appropriate treatment, but can significantly reduce radiation exposure and the $3 to $10 billion that are wasted each year on unnecessary duplicate imaging studies.
"We're seeing hospitals, independent delivery networks (IDNs) and imaging centers provide access to the DICOM Grid to referring physicians at no charge, especially radiologists, oncologists, neurologists, and cardiologists who often need images from prior exams to support clinical decision-making. Offering this access facilitates collaborative care and strengthens relationships with these physicians, which can have a significant bottom-line impact -- some specialists can generate up to $75,000 for certain procedures," said DICOM Grid CEO Michael V. Wall. "In addition to enhancing physician relations, healthcare providers also report improved patient care, significant savings, streamlined workflow and improved patient satisfaction. They also mention achieving peace of mind from knowing that they comply with HIPAA and government archival regulations and knowing that DICOM Grid provides proven disaster recovery and business continuity. Unplanned downtime, planned upgrades and PACS migrations do happen -- more often more than we like, with significant financial implications. For example, a planned or unplanned PACS outage can cost more than $10,000 a day for a medium-sized hospital."
Over the past year, DICOM Grid also:
- Secured $7.5 million in Series A financing.
- Released the scalable, affordable cloud-based ImageCare platform and tools that make searching, sharing and exchanging medical images as easy as using consumer web applications such as Google, Facebook and iTunes.
- Expanded industry-savvy executive management, sales and marketing, and product development teams to fuel growth and build awareness about how DICOM Grid's cloud-based technology platform can help their customers achieve a sustainable competitive advantage.
- Received a patent on Split/Merge technology that ensures secure capture, storage and transfer of images and data by de-identifying the image by separating the image and patient history, which are compressed, encrypted, indexed and stored. The two records are only merged when they arrive on an authorized physician's browser. Supporting patents have been filed.
- Developed elastic, extremely affordable cloud-based storage to accommodate burgeoning storage capacity needs that enables nearly instant retrieval of images and reports.
- Offered pricing and programs to allow customers to leverage their existing technology, a boon to many facilities with expensive, but incompatible systems.
"The ability to share, browse, exchange and act upon medical imaging -- whenever and wherever needed -- is fundamental for care collaboration, the keystone of Meaningful Use," explained Wall. "Imaging data provides a rich, but untapped source of valuable data that is currently held hostage by incompatible legacy and proprietary systems, devices and data silos. DICOM Grid's ImageCare platform breaks through these barriers to unleash this data to improve providers' clinical, operational and financial outcomes."
About DICOM Grid
Based in Phoenix, DICOM Grid is a healthcare IT company dedicated to making digital medical imaging accessible and affordable to all medical facilities and physicians for the first time. Its unique, integrated ImageCare™ platform allows medical imaging facilities to improve efficiency, reduce errors, enhance the quality of care, provide authorized physicians with anytime and anywhere access to critical imaging, and attract new patients while assuring proper patient privacy safeguards that are mandated by law. For more information please visit http://www.dicomgrid.com/ or call 602.687.8046.