SHANGHAI, Jan. 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- WuXi PharmaTech (NYSE:WX), a leading pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device research and development outsourcing company with operations in China and the United States, announced the winners of its 6th annual WuXi PharmaTech Life Science and Chemistry Awards at a ceremony held on January 20, 2013.
Mr. Guowei Sang, Vice Chairman of the Standing Committee of the 11th National People's Congress and a member of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, and Ms. Zhizheng Wang, Vice Chairwoman of the 11th Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference and a member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, presented the awards. Mr. Sang served as the Honorary Chairman of the award selection committee, which was comprised of nine distinguished experts from Chinese life science academia and industry.
Eighteen highly accomplished young scholars were honored through a rigorous and transparent selection process that began in May 2012. Winners of the Outstanding Achievements Awards included:
- Prof. Rui Wang, School of Basic Medical Science, Lanzhou University
- Prof. Hongyan Wang, School of Life Sciences, Fudan University
- Prof. Qiao Wu, School of Life Sciences, Xiamen University
Winners of the Scholar Awards included:
- Prof. Liu Cao, Translational Medicine Research Institute, China Medical University
- Dr. Ke Ding, Guangzhou Institutes of Biomedicine and Health, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Prof. Zhike He, College of Chemistry and Molecular Sciences, Wuhan University
- Prof. Tuo Jin, School of Pharmacy, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Prof. Ke Lan, Institute Pasteur of Shanghai, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Prof. Lei Liu, Department of Chemistry, Tsinghua University
- Dr. Zhijie Liu, Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Prof. Zhangjie Shi, College of Chemistry and Molecular Engineering, Peking University
- Dr. Xiaocheng Wang, National Institute of Biological Sciences
- Dr. Xin Xie, Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Prof. Ning Yan, School of Medicine, Tsinghua University
- Prof. Shengyong Yang, State Key Laboratory of Biological Treatment, Sichuan University
- Dr. Tao Ye, Shenzhen Graduate School, Peking University, and Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Dr. Ao Zhang, Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Dr. Bing Zhu, National Institute of Biological Sciences
"I would like to express my gratitude to WuXi PharmaTech and the distinguished selection committee for their recognition of our research," said Prof. Hongyan Wang, one of the winners of the Outstanding Achievements Awards. "We hope that results from our research laboratories may one day benefit patients and their families."
"Congratulations to all of the award winners for their exceptional scientific accomplishments," commented Dr. Ge Li, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of WuXi PharmaTech. "WuXi is delighted to present this award to recognize some of the brightest minds in China whose research can help our global industry to better understand diseases and find more effective cures. Advancing innovation to therapies is an enormous challenge that requires strong partnership between academia and industry. Our vision at WuXi is to build a technology and capability platform to enable anyone and any company to discover and develop drugs more efficiently and cost effectively to benefit patients in need around the world."
The WuXi PharmaTech Life Science and Chemistry Awards were originated in 2007 as the first nationwide scientific award in China established by a life science enterprise. The awards aim to foster early innovation and encourage pursuit of excellence in life science research. During the six years since its inception, 95 scholars from more than 30 premier Chinese universities and research institutes have received awards, of whom three were later elected to the Chinese Academy of Sciences or the Chinese Academy of Engineering.
About WuXi PharmaTech
As a research-driven and customer-focused company, WuXi PharmaTech provides a broad and integrated portfolio of laboratory and manufacturing services throughout the drug and medical device R&D process. WuXi PharmaTech's services are designed to assist its global partners in shortening the cycle and lowering the cost of drug and medical device R&D. WuXi AppTec is the name for the operating subsidiaries of WuXi PharmaTech. For more information, please visit: http://www.wuxiapptec.com.
WuXi PharmaTech's Contacts:
Ronald Aldridge, Director of Investor Relations
+1 (201) 585-2048
Aaron Shi, Assistant Director, Corporate Communications
SOURCE WuXi PharmaTech (Cayman) Inc.