ALISO VIEJO, CA--(Marketwire - April 09, 2012) - WaveTec Vision®, the company that recently introduced the ORA System™, a diagnostic device that brings revolutionary precision to cataract surgery, announced today it has closed a new round of financing, securing an additional $16.5 million.
The ORA System utilizes Optiwave™ technology with a precise new light source and optics designed to take intraoperative wavefront aberrometry to a new level of performance, enabling surgeons to optimize the result for their cataract patients.
This latest round was led by a new investor, Burrill & Company. All of the company's previous investors also participated in this round of financing, including Versant Ventures, Accuitive Medical Ventures, De Novo Ventures and Gund Investment Corporation.
"The participation of a new lead investor further validates the scientific and clinical potential of the ORA System," said Tom Frinzi, WaveTec President and CEO. "This new capital enables us to further expand our commercial efforts as well as continue product refinement. We're confident of our leadership in this space and of our ability to help surgeons provide superior refractive cataract outcomes."
The new ORA System with OptiWave™ technology offers:
- Trusted SLED technology that enhances the quality of the wavefront image to improve accuracy of the measurement, ensuring better outcomes for more cataract patients.
- Precision lenses that optimize the consistency of the wavefront image, also ensuring accuracy and better outcomes for patients.
- Optimized algorithms that help improve the accuracy of intraoperative refractive measurement, providing increased confidence in a surgeon's IOL selection.
- A system-aligned, on-demand reticle that guides intraoperative astigmatic correction, providing axial guidance for use during toric lens and LRI placement.
- A full-field of view including a live display of the eye to visually confirm quality captures, enabling surgeons to see and diagnose erroneous measurements as a result of external interference.
- Easy, one-step alignment for faster measurement of patients, reducing staff downtime.
About WaveTec Vision®
WaveTec Vision, a privately held company, is the leader in intraoperative wavefront measurement technology for refractive cataract surgeons, providing on-demand information that enables achievement of the best possible vision for their patients. Based in Aliso Viejo, CA, its proprietary ORA System™ is a revolutionary diagnostic device with all new Optiwave™ technology that is designed to take intraoperative wavefront aberrometry to a new level of performance. For demanding patients -- and the skilled surgeons who serve them -- the ORA System delivers the potential for optimal results. For more information, visit www.wavetecvision.com.