News | News By Subject | News by Disease News By Date | Search News
Get Our FREE
Industry eNewsletter
email:    
   

Tap Water in Neti Pots Behind 2 Brain-Eating Amoeba Deaths in 2011, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Reveals


8/24/2012 6:50:37 AM

Two people in Louisiana died last year from a rare brain infection contracted after using neti pots containing tap water to flush their sinuses. The infection, known as primary amebic meningoencephalitis, occurs after water containing the amoeba Naegleria fowleri enters the nose and travels through the olfactory nerve into the brain. This is the first time tap water and neti pots have been connected to infection with N. fowleri, according to a report appearing online Aug. 23 in Clinical Infectious Diseases.

Read at US News
Read at Fox News
Read at CBS News
Read at NBC
Read at Daily Mail UK


comments powered by Disqus
US News
Fox News
CBS News
NBC
Daily Mail UK
   

ADD TO DEL.ICIO.US    ADD TO DIGG    ADD TO FURL    ADD TO STUMBLEUPON    ADD TO TECHNORATI FAVORITES