Sensulin Appoints Advisory Board
7/19/2013 7:22:16 AM
Staying up-to-date has never been simpler. Sign up for the free GenePool newsletter today!
Online PR News – 12-July-2013 –Sensulin, LLC, a leader in the development of novel medicines for diabetes, announced its Advisory Board during the American Diabetes Association’s (ADA) 73rd Scientific Sessions. The Company is developing a glucose-responsive insulin, which is designed to be a single-dose once-a-day insulin for type I and type II diabetes.
Sensulin’s Advisory Board is chaired by a past President of the ADA, and includes past CEOs of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) and Amylin, as well as the former Franchise Head for Merck’s diabetes and obesity division. The board brings together world-leading expertise in diabetes biology, drug discovery, clinical research and development. The SAB comprises leading R&D professionals from academia and the pharma industry, and will operate under the direction of Sensulin’s Chief Scientific Officer, Dr. Ananth Annapragada, and CEO, Mike Moradi.
Dr. Alan Cherrington, Chairman of Sensulin’s advisory board said: “The big problem with current insulin therapy is the risk of hypoglycemia, which is the price that must be paid for tight glucose control. There is a need for insulin analogs which can achieve tight control without the consequence of excessive hypoglycemia. Glucose-responsive insulin represents a novel way to achieve that goal.”
Advisory board members include:
- Chairman: Alan Cherrington, PhD: Alan is a past-president of the American Diabetes Association (the first non-MD to hold that position) and a researcher at Vanderbilt University. Prior to its Amylin’s acquisition, Alan also served as its SAB chair, and he now chairs the SAB for Biocon, one of the largest insulin suppliers in the world. He received the ADA’s Banting Award for outstanding achievement in diabetes research, and JDRF’s David Rumbough Award for Scientific Achievement. He holds a PhD in Endocrinology and Physiology from the U. of Toronto, where he worked with Dr. Mladen Vranic. He carried out post-doctoral training with Dr. Rollo Park at Vanderbilt University Medical School.
- Daniel M. Bradbury: Dan is a Life Sciences Executive with over 30 years of experience creating and implementing strategies that transform businesses, bring novel medicines to market and maximize shareholder value. He is the Managing Member of BioBrit, LLC, a Life Sciences Consulting and Investment Firm. Dan is the former President, CEO and Director of Amylin Pharmaceuticals, a biopharmaceutical company based in San Diego, CA, focused on metabolic diseases. During his 18-year tenure at Amylin, the company launched three first-in-class medicines, including the first once-a-week therapy to treat diabetes and was listed on the Nasdaq 100. He served as Amylin’s Chief Executive Officer from March 2007 until its acquisition by Bristol-Myers Squibb Company for $7 billion in August 2012. Before joining Amylin, Dan worked in marketing and sales roles for ten years at SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals. He serves on the board of directors of Corcept Therapeutics (NASDAQ: CORT), Geron Corporation (NASDAQ: GERN), Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ: ILMN), BioMed Realty (NYSE: BMR), Biocon Limited (NSE: BIOCON), Castle Biosciences, Inc. (Private), DiaVacs (Private) and Microdermis, Inc. (Private). He also serves on the board of trustees of the Keck Graduate Institute, the Investor Growth Capital Advisory Board and the BioMed Ventures Advisory Committee.
- John Amatruda, MD: John was formerly the SVP and Franchise Head of Diabetes and Obesity at Merck Research Laboratories. He is board-certified in internal medicine, endocrinology and metabolism and has a proven track record in academics and pharmaceutical discovery research and development, including several novel candidate compounds, INDs, translational studies, development programs, and four NDAs. John has over 15 years of experience in academic medicine, and 17 years within the medical industry. He has an extensive history as a Principal Investigator for NIH-funded basic and clinical research. Dr. Amatruda received his B.A. from Yale, his M.D. from the Medical College of Wisconsin, and completed his internship and residency in internal medicine and a fellowship in endocrinology/metabolism at The Johns Hopkins Hospital.
- Marcus Hompesch, MD: Marcus is Founder, President and CEO of Profil Institute for Clinical Research in San Diego. Over the past decade, Profil has been involved with almost every clinically promising drug and device development in diabetes (175+ trials). Dr. Hompesch is an expert in the field of metabolic diseases, a licensed physician, and an entrepreneur. He spent 8 years as a practicing physician and has been involved in designing, performing and publishing many clinical studies in metabolic diseases—particularly early-phase diabetes studies. He received his M.D. from the U. of Düsseldorf, Germany. Dr. Hompesch was the founder of Med.IQ, a company that developed electronic patient records and disease-management tools for patients with diabetes, which he led as CEO until a successful exit event in 2000.
- Alan J. Lewis, PhD: Alan is CEO of Medistem, which is developing adult stem cell-based therapeutics. He was previously Chairman and CEO of Ambit BioSciences, President and CEO of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, and CEO of Novocell. He served as CEO of Signal Pharma, which was acquired by Celgene. He then was VP of Research at Wyeth-Ayerst, where he led research efforts in diabetes, cardiovascular, and other diseases. He serves as a Director of BioMarin Pharma and BIOCOM. He holds a Ph.D. in pharmacology from the U. of Wales and completed postdoctoral training at Yale University.
- Orville G. Kolterman, M.D.: During his 20 year tenure at Amylin, Orville Kolterman, M.D. was instrumental in the development of first-in-class diabetes medicines, including SYMLIN and BYETTA injections. Prior to his appointment as Senior Vice President & Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Kolterman held leadership roles in the regulatory, research, development, clinical and medical affairs departments, many of which were officer-level positions. Before Amylin, he was Program Director of the General Clinical Research Center and Medical Director of the Diabetes Center at the University of California Medical Center. Dr. Kolterman has served as a board member for the American Diabetes Association (ADA) Research Foundation and is a past President of the California Affiliate of the ADA. He has held the role of Adjunct Professor of Medicine at the University of California, San Diego for over 20 years. Dr. Kolterman earned his medical degree from Stanford University School of Medicine.
- Jim Phillips, MD, MBA: Jim is Chairman of Oxford-based Prosonix, and has over 20 years of healthcare industry experience. He is a qualified physician with experience in business development and early-stage ventures. He has worked for Johnson & Johnson and Novartis in Senior Executive roles and was Founder & CEO of Talisker Pharmaceuticals, which was acquired by EUSA Pharma in July 2006. As CEO, Jim also took Bone Medical Ltd through its oversubscribed IPO in Australia in 2004. In addition, he has held a number of other international board-level roles, including Lifegard Technologies., EUSA Pharma, OPi, and Diabetology, where he led E.U. regulatory and clinical development for an oral insulin.
Commenting on the formation of the Advisory Board, Mike Moradi, Chief Executive Officer of Sensulin, said: “We are thrilled to have a world-class advisory board, but innovation ultimately is what has driven their interest. Our board brings vast knowledge and relationships into Sensulin’s sphere of influence, and our R&D programs will undoubtedly benefit from their insight and guidance.”
Sensulin, LLC is developing the a once-a-day glucose-responsive insulin for type I/II diabetes, which may mimic a healthy human pancreas. Sensulin™ may eliminate the need for basal & prandial insulin, offer a substantial improvement in the standard of care, and most importantly, give those with diabetes a chance at a normal life. www.sensulin.com
Help employers find you! Check out all the jobs and post your resume.
comments powered by