HOBOKEN, N.J. (April 2, 2013) – Octapharma USA will present an impressive eight clinical posters and will sponsor the Hemophilia & Thrombosis Research Society (HTRS) Annual Scientific Symposium, scheduled for April 11 – 13 at The Westin Charlotte in North Carolina.
Designed for researchers and healthcare providers who care for patients with bleeding and clotting disorders, the conference supports the HTRS mission to advance research, education and mentorship. Octapharma USA provided an unrestricted educational grant for the scientific symposium.
“Octapharma is committed to supporting the bleeding disorders community through research, product development and educational initiatives,” said Octapharma USA President Flemming Nielsen. “It is very important that we properly communicate the latest developments in bleeding disorders. Research advances are taking place rapidly in many areas and the healthcare community must stay abreast of changes impacting patient care.”
The titles of the Octapharma poster presentations are:
• Low inhibitor incidence in previously untreated patients with severe haemophilia A treated with octanate® – Update from the PUP-GCP clinical trial;
• Efficacy and safety of on-demand treatment with Human-cl rhFVIII in previously treated patients with severe haemophilia A;
• Clinical study in children with severe haemophilia A investigating efficacy, immunogenicity, pharmacokinetics, and safety of Human-cl rhFVIII;
• Human-cl rhFVIII effectively and safely prevents bleeding episodes in previously treated adult patients with severe haemophilia A;
• Final results of a prospective, non-interventional clinical study in 170 VWD patients with a new generation of VWF/FVIII concentrate in Germany;
• ITI with a VWF / FVIII concentrate in haemophilia A patients with inhibitors and a poor prognosis for ITI success: Progress report on octanate® in the ObsITI study;
• Glycoprotein Ib-mediated platelet adhesion and thrombus formation under flow: Role of VWF triplet bands; and
• Treatment of Congenital Fibrinogen Deficiency; Global Development Plan for a Double Virus Inactivated Fibrinogen Concentrate.
Octapharma USA encourages attendees to visit its conference booth throughout the three-day event. Product information will be available for wilate® (Von Willebrand Factor/Factor VIII Concentrate, Human), a therapy for treating all three types of Von Willebrand Disease (VWD). The company will also have a booth and staff presence at the following April conferences:
• North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology (NASPAG) Annual Clinical and Research Meeting, Manchester Grand Hyatt, San Diego, April 18 – 20;
• American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (ASPHO) 26th Annual Meeting, Hyatt Regency Miami, April 24 – 27; and
• Hemophilia Federation of America Annual Symposium, Embassy Suites Dallas-Frisco Hotel, April 25 – 27.
wilate® is a plasma-derived, stable, highly purified concentrate of freeze-dried human Von Willebrand Factor (VWF) and coagulation factor VIII (FVIII). Two well-established virus inactivation steps are incorporated into the manufacturing process of wilate®, specifically a solvent/detergent (S/D) and terminal dry heat treatment.
wilate® is a Von Willebrand Factor/Coagulation Factor VIII Complex (Human) indicated for the treatment of spontaneous and trauma-induced bleeding episodes in patients with severe Von Willebrand Disease (VWD), as well as patients with mild or moderate VWD in whom the use of desmopressin is known or suspected to be ineffective or contraindicated. wilate® is not indicated for the prophylaxis of spontaneous bleeding episodes, or the prevention of excessive bleeding during and after surgery in VWD patients. wilate® is not indicated for Hemophilia A.
Important Safety Information
wilate® is contraindicated for patients who have known anaphylactic or severe systemic reaction to plasma-derived products, any ingredient in the formulation, or components of the container. Thromboembolic events have been reported in VWD patients receiving coagulation factor replacement therapies. FVIII activity should be monitored to avoid sustained excessive FVIII levels. wilate® is made from human plasma. The risk of infectious agents, including viruses and, theoretically, the Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease agent, cannot be completely eliminated. The most common adverse reactions to treatment with wilate® in patients with VWD have been uticaria and dizziness. The most serious adverse reactions to treatment with wilate® have been hypersensitivity reactions.
For more information and full prescribing on wilate®, please visit www.wilateusa.com.
About the Octapharma Group
Headquartered in Lachen, Switzerland, Octapharma AG is one of the world’s largest human protein products manufacturers and has been committed to patient care and medical innovation for 30 years. With a broad and expanding pipeline, Octapharma’s core business is the development, production, and sale of high quality human protein therapies from both human plasma and human cell-lines, including intravenous immune globulin and von Willebrand Factor/Coagulation Factor VIII Complex. Octapharma employs more than 5,000 people and has biopharmaceutical experience in 80 countries worldwide, including the United States, where Octapharma USA is located in Hoboken, New Jersey. Octapharma operates two state-of-the-art production sites licensed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), providing a high level of production flexibility. For more information, please visit www.octapharma.com, www.octaplasus.com, or www.wilateusa.com.
Yankee Public Relations