ABBOTT PARK, Ill., April 25, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- (NYSE: ABT) When it comes to maximizing recovery and accomplishing fitness goals, exercise enthusiasts identify building muscle or getting lean and toned as main objectives. However, reaching these goals depends as much on proper nutrition habits as on the rigor of training regimens.
Abbott's EAS® Sports Nutrition has developed a new science-based line of performance nutrition products that include: EAS Lean 15 powder and bars, EAS Recovery powder, EAS Myoplex 30 bars and EAS Myoplex Original shakes featuring Revigor.
Through ingredients such as Revigor and specially formulated carbohydrate and protein blends, EAS products rapidly deliver needed nutrients to fatigued muscles and help athletes recover and build muscle. Revigor, a source of HMB (beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate), is an amino-acid metabolite that can help protect and promote muscle tissue growth(2). The line also offers new protein powders to give fitness-focused individuals an easy way to get needed protein at 100 calories per serving.
All EAS products are tested for banned substances and certified by independent laboratories and marked with a "Tested and True" seal.
Fueling Athletic Performance
Athletic pursuits demand nutritional needs beyond a normal diet. Active individuals require specific amounts of carbohydrates, proteins and fats to fuel muscles, build strength and recover after physical activity. Timing of these essential nutrients is critical to future performance.
"Nutrition to enhance athletic performance involves not only what to eat, but when to eat it," said Keith Wheeler, PhD, FACSM, global director, Performance Nutrition, Research and Development at Abbott. "When athletes don't consume important nutrients in the right ratios at the right time, they will deplete their bodies and compromise their ability to perform. The new EAS recovery products are scientifically formulated to rapidly replenish muscles after a workout with needed nutrients."
The benefits of well-timed proper nutrition can include reduced muscle fatigue and exercise-induced muscle damage as well as accelerated repair.
"The key nutritional strategy after training is getting a combination of carbohydrate and protein within the first 30 minutes after a workout," said Amanda Carlson-Phillips, MS, RD, CSSD, vice president of Nutrition and Research, Athletes' Performance and EAS Academy board advisor. "On average, men should aim for 15-30 grams of protein and women should get 10-20 grams of protein in combination with carbohydrate in a 2:1 or 3:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio. The protein is needed to stimulate protein synthesis and provide the building blocks for muscle and the carbohydrates are needed to help refuel the body."
New EAS Products:
- EAS Recovery Protein Powder offers athletes a more complete recovery solution than using 100% whey protein alone. This powder features 1.5 grams of Revigor which stimulates muscle protein synthesis and decreases muscle protein breakdown helping to reduce exercise-associated muscle damage(3). The powder also has 20 grams of whey protein and 40 grams of a carbohydrate blend that provides rapidly digestible carbohydrates to promote replacement of muscle fuels and slow-digesting carbohydrates for sustained energy.
- EAS Lean 15 Protein Powder isdesigned for individuals who are seeking to get leaner and more toned. At 100 calories and 15 grams of protein per serving, this powder helps to meet lean body goals, while providing a nutritious way to help manage hunger. EAS Lean 15 nutrition bars are also available.
- EAS Myoplex Original with Revigor our popular EAS ready-to-drink shake features 42 grams of protein and now comes with the benefits of Revigor to protect muscle tissue and aid the body in post-workout recovery.(4)(5)
- EAS Myoplex 30 bars include 30 grams of protein per serving and provide a convenient way to fuel the body with a combination of vitamins and minerals.
- These products complement the revitalized EAS line of dietary supplements: EAS Phos Force for pre-workout nutrition and EAS Muscle Armor® and EAS Betagen® for recovery and building muscle.*
Redesigned Packaging and 100% Certified
EAS packaging is designed to convey the nutrition benefits of each product and indicate the fitness-related goals, "Get Lean and Toned" or "Build Muscle."
"With the vast array of sports nutrition products available, consumers can be overwhelmed at the store," said Tobe Cohen, divisional vice president and general manager of Performance Nutrition, Abbott. "Through this new line of EAS products and updated package labeling, we are taking out the guesswork. Individuals can select EAS products based on their goals and be 100 percent confident they are getting a safe, science-backed product."
EAS products are tested through independent, leading laboratories and are 100 percent certified as being free of banned substances. Packaging displays the "Tested and True" seal to reflect this important certification. EAS products are available at grocery, mass and specialty retailers across the U.S.
About the EAS Brand
Abbott, a global health care company and the maker of EAS products, has more than 85 years of innovation in leading-edge nutritional science. Whether you are an elite athlete, fitness enthusiast or weekend warrior, the EAS brand develops performance nutrition products that can help you play hard and recover strong. A brand you can trust, our scientists, researchers and all-around fitness enthusiasts take pride in making products that are impactful, clean and safe so you can keep pushing yourself to the next level. Visit www.eas.com or www.facebook.com/easbrand.
About Abbott Nutrition
For more than 85 years, Abbott Nutrition has been developing and marketing science-based nutritional products to support the growth, health and wellness of people of all ages. Internationally recognized brands include the Similac® brand of infant formulas; the Gain® brand of growing-up milks; the PediaSure® line of nutritionals for children; and the Ensure® brand of complete and balanced nutrition for adults.
The company is a leader in nutritional products clinically shown to address the distinct dietary needs of people with serious health conditions or special nutrient requirements, such as the Glucerna® brand of nutrition shakes and bars for people with diabetes.
Abbott Nutrition also offers EAS® specialized products to meet the unique nutritional needs of athletes, as well as ZonePerfect®all-natural nutrition bars for busy, active lifestyles. More information about Abbott Nutrition's products is available at www.AbbottNutrition.com.
Abbott is a global, broad-based health care company devoted to the discovery, development, manufacture and marketing of pharmaceuticals and medical products, including nutritionals, devices and diagnostics. The company employs approximately 91,000 people and markets its products in more than 130 countries.
Abbott's news releases and other information are available on the company's website at www.abbott.com.
(1) I2i®, EAS Protein Explorative Qualitative Research, April 2011
(2) Studies on adults initiating an exercise program.
(3) Studies on adults initiating an exercise program.
(4) Studies on adults initiating an exercise program.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.