News by Subject
News by Disease
News by Date
Post Your News
Job Seeker Login
Most Recent Jobs
Browse Biotech Jobs
US & Canada
Post an Event
News | News By Subject | News by Disease |
News By Date | Search News
Job Fair Cheat Sheet 2014
2/17/2014 12:24:05 PM
February 20, 2014
Job fairs aren’t what they used to be. Are you ready?
By Carole Martin, Interview Coach
Tips to get the most from the job fair
1. Check websites to see announcements of local job fairs. They will give you dates, locations, websites, directions, and contact information.
2. Check out which companies will be attending the job fair. Select those that are of interest to you and visit their website. What do you see that fits your qualifications?
3. Time is of the essence. Lay out a plan to move quickly around the site, making sure you contact those of particular interest.
4. Make sure your resume is in-line with what they are seeking—is it clearly stated?
5. Take several copies of your resume with you to the job fair.
6. Dress professionally and in accordance with the job you are seeking. A non-management job does not require a suit, unless it is a particularly traditional or conservative company.
7. Plan to arrive early—at least a half hour prior to the starting time.
8. Upon arrival at the site, get a floor plan map—usually given at the entrance or information table. Or, better yet, there may be computers there for your use to look up participant’s locations and more company information.
9.Time is of the essence. Lay out a plan to move quickly around the site, making sure you contact those of particular interest. Visit the sites that have the fewest visitors, even though they would not be your first choice. Keep your focus and make contact with as many companies of interest as possible.
10. Be enthusiastic, upbeat, and above all, be prepared to tell them what you are looking for and what you have to offer.
About the Author
The Interview Coach, Carole Martin, is a celebrated author, job coach, and speaker on the subject of interviewing and recruiting. Carole is using her proven methods for coaching job seekers on competitive interviewing skills in technical and non-technical industries. www.interviewcoach.com
Find more biotech jobs here!
Check out the latest Career Insider eNewsletter - February 20, 2014.
Sign up for the free weekly Career Insider eNewsletter.
* 7 Key Habits Of Super Networkers In Biotech
* Networking Etiquette: How to Mingle Like a Pro Solo
* 20 Overlooked Ideas for Networking Like a Pro