, Dec. 3, 2012
/PRNewswire/ -- Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY) has released its 2011/2012 Corporate Responsibility Update (www.lilly.com/Documents/Lilly_2011_2012_CRupdate.pdf
). This report highlights progress and initiatives since Lilly's 2010/2011 full Corporate Responsibility Report. The update, as well as last year's full report, is available on Lilly's website at www.lilly.com
"Increasingly, we are integrating the concept of 'shared value' into the way we operate," said John C. Lechleiter, Ph.D., Lilly chairman, president and chief executive officer. "Using our business expertise to help address pressing social needs opens up new opportunities for us to provide solutions to health challenges the world over. We believe this approach will help to create enduring value for society and for Lilly. By making individual patients better, we help those patientsas well as their communities and broader societiesto thrive."
Lilly, a leader in advocating for greater transparency by the biopharmaceutical industry, provides a comprehensive report of the company's progress on numerous corporate responsibility goals and efforts. The report includes updates on longstanding programs, as well as data for 2011.
Included in the report are highlights indicating that Lilly:
- gave more than $590 million in charitable contributions in 2011 (including cash, products, and other in-kind donations), including through the company's patient assistance programs, which helped more than 250,000 people;
- unveiled The Lilly Global Health Innovation Campaign, which encompassses two of Lilly's signature corporate responsibility programs The Lilly NCD Partnership and The Lilly MDR-TB Partnership aimed at improving health for people in need in developing countires;
- received a perfect score of 100 on the Human Rights Campaign's "Best Places to Work: Corporate Equality Index" in 2011;
- selected 200 employees to volunteer two weeks each, on company time, in countries where people lack resources or access to quality health care;
- reduced serious injury and lost-time injury rates each by 50 percent (from 2007 baseline);
- decreased water intake by more than 25 percent and waste to landfill by 40 percent compared to 2007;
- improved energy efficiency by more than 15 percent, compared to 2007, and reduced corresponding greenhouse gas emissions by more than 15 percent.
The Lilly 2011/12 Corporate Responsibility Update also serves as the company's annual Communication on Progress to the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC). As a signatory of the UNGC, Lilly shares its progress annually on 10 principles universally accepted related to human rights, labor, the environment and anti-corruption.
The report details the company's progress in areas such as:
- conducting business ethically and transparently, including the safe, uninterrupted supply of medicines, ethical product promotion, patient privacy, public disclosure of clinical trial results and financial payments to health care professionals;
- enhancing access to medicines and efforts to improve health for people in need, including through patient assistance programs and product donations;
- developing innovative medicines and maintaining the highest standards in research and development, including the use and care of animals in research, bioethics, patient safety and education, and diversity in clinical trials;
- supporting strong workplace practices that encompass diversity and inclusion; employee health, safety and wellness; recruiting, hiring and development; and efforts to help employees maintain work-life balance;
- engaging with patients and communities to achieve better health outcomes, including community-based programs that support patients, improving health disparities, and employee volunteering and giving programs;
- fostering environmental sustainability and reducing the company's environmental footprint through initiatives related to energy efficiency, greenhouse gases emissions, water intake and waste to landfill.
About Eli Lilly and Company
Lilly, a leading innovation-driven corporation is developing a growing portfolio of pharmaceutical products by applying the latest research from its own worldwide laboratories and from collaborations with eminent scientific organizations. Headquartered in Indianapolis, Ind., Lilly provides answers through medicines and information for some of the world's most urgent medical needs. Additional information about Lilly is available at www.lilly.com. CR-LLY
(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20031219/LLYLOGO )
SOURCE Eli Lilly and Company