Zwijnaarde, 13 April, 2011 - Devgen and PT. Sang Hyang Seri (Persero) (SHS) launched the rice hybrid DG 1 SHS in November 2010, in key rice growing areas in Aceh, Sumatra, Java and Sulawesi. This launch was supported by an expert team of Devgen product specialists and the SHS marketing team who provide training and education to the local farmers.
The success of the first season was celebrated in a harvest ceremony in Bantul regency on April 6th, 2011. In 2011, Devgen and SHS target to further increase the supply of Devgen's premium hybrid rice seed to the Indonesian grower.
Bapak Winarno Tohir, Chief of National Outstanding Farmers Association ("NOFA") which has more than 60 million members and Bapak Eddy Budiono, President Director of SHS stated: "As per government policy and farmers' dream, SHS and NOFA will work together with Devgen towards the increase of rice productivity in Indonesia. Hybrid rice that is fully adapted to our Indonesian climate and farmer requirements can significantly contribute to securing Indonesia's strategic food supply. We are pleased to work with Devgen to achieve this goal to the benefit of the grower. In April 2011 wet season harvesting, we were all pleasantly surprised by DG 1 SHS's outstanding performance in wet condition, which is uncommon in other hybrid rice."
"Devgen is pleased to see its technology, expertise and new products deliver in its partnership with SHS" says Thierry Bogaert, CEO Devgen "New products are expected to be launched and registered in 2011."
Picture1: Harvest ceremony on April 6th, 2011 in Bantul conducted by senior government officials, the Chief of the National Outstanding Farmers Association, and the CEO's of both the government owned seed company PT (Persero) Sang Hyang Seri and Devgen.
Picture 2: Pak End Juhaeri, Jember. The response of farmers was highly positive in all planting areas and was hailed as being fully adapted to local requirements: "DG1 SHS gave high yield in 116 days (9-10 ton/ha on average, vs 6-7 ton/ha for inbreds). The grain is long slender (versus bold grain of other hybrids) and tastes like the popular variety Ciherang. Unlike other hybrids in the market DG 1 SHS is also suited for the rainy season, when pest and disease pressure is high."
About Devgen nv
Devgen's mission is to deliver the next green revolution in rice to growers that cultivate 60m ha rice in India and S.E. Asia.
Devgen uses advanced biotechnology and molecular breeding technology to develop the Next Generation Hybrid Rice (NGHR) and crop protection solutions with a superior environmental profile:
• Devgen developed the next generation of hybrid rice, improving yield, seed productivity, grain quality, and tolerance to biotic and abiotic stress factors. Devgen strongly believes that this hybrid rice technology has the potential to drive the accelerated conversion of varietal rice to hybrid rice.
• Anticipating the need to increase insect resistance and drought/heat tolerance in rice to a level that is beyond what can be achieved with classical breeding, Devgen created a portfolio of biotech traits using own technology as well as in-licensed technologies.
• Devgen established an integrated seed business in India and Southeast Asia through which its rice crops and technologies reach the market.
• In India, Devgen complemented its hybrid rice business with geographically and seasonally complementary crops: hybrid sorghum, pearl millet and sunflower.
• In its Crop Protection unit, Devgen develops a novel nematicide, an agro-chemical product that protects crops from damage by parasitic nematodes. This product is sold in Turkey and in the US.
• Devgen innovates in crop protection research and environment induced stress tolerance for its own crops and providing technology to corporate partners.
Incorporated in 1997, Devgen has offices in Ghent (Belgium), and has subsidiaries in Singapore, Hyderabad (India), Yogyakarta (Indonesia), General Santos (Philippines) and Delaware (US), totaling about 280 employees.
For more information please contact:
Thierry Bogaert, CEO
Monika Van Den Haute,
Tel. +32 9 324 24 24 Tel. +32 9 324 24 24
Or visit: www.devgen.com