DANBURY, Conn., May 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Biodel Inc. (Nasdaq: BIOD) today reported financial results for the second fiscal quarter ended March 31, 2012.
Highlights since Beginning of Second Fiscal Quarter
- Announced a planned New Drug Application (NDA) submission by the first calendar quarter of 2014 for a proprietary glucagon rescue formulation.
- Successfully completed a Phase 1 trial study of recombinant human insulin (RHI)-based ultra-rapid-acting prandial insulin formulations BIOD-123 and BIOD-125 that met the company's criteria to initiate a Phase 2 trial, projected to start in the third calendar quarter of 2012.
- Received a notice of allowance from the European Patent Office for additional RHI- and analog-based ultra-rapid-acting insulin patent claims, further strengthening Biodel's proprietary position in Europe.
- Announced the selection of analog-based ultra-rapid-acting insulin formulations for further study in a Phase 1 clinical trial, projected to start in late 2012.
- Strengthened the Board of Directors with the addition of Ms. Julia R. Brown and Mr. Davey S. Scoon.
Dr. Errol De Souza, president and chief executive officer of Biodel, stated: "The last quarter has been a busy one for us at Biodel in successfully executing our development strategy and delivering on important milestones. Constructive FDA feedback regarding our liquid formulation of glucagon intended for use as a rescue treatment for patients experiencing severe hypoglycemia has accelerated our planning. Under our current projections, the glucagon program is now the one closest to an NDA submission, which is targeted for late 2013 or early 2014. In parallel, we look forward to initiating a Phase 2 clinical trial of our lead candidate BIOD-123, an RHI-based ultra-rapid-acting insulin, next quarter and a Phase 1 clinical trial for our lead candidates for an analog-based ultra-rapid-acting insulin later this year."
Second Quarter Financial Results
Biodel reported a net loss for the three months ended March 31, 2012 of $4.3 million, or $0.11 per share, compared to a net loss of $5.4 million, or $0.21 per share, for the same period in the prior year.
Research and development expenses were $2.6 million for the three months ended March 31, 2012, compared to $2.9 million for the same period in the prior year. The decrease in research and development expenses was primarily due to lower personnel and stock-based compensation expenses.
General and administrative expenses were $1.8 million for the three months ended March 31, 2012, compared to $2.3 million for the same period in the prior year. The decrease in general and administrative expenses was primarily attributable to lower personnel and stock-based compensation expenses.
Expenses for the three months ended March 31, 2012 and 2011 included costs of $0.3 million and $1.2 million, respectively, in stock-based compensation expense related to options granted to employees and non-employee directors.
Biodel did not recognize any revenue during the three months ended March 31, 2012 or 2011.
At March 31, 2012, Biodel had cash and cash equivalents of $29.8 million, which will support operations through the middle of calendar year 2013. At March 31, 2012, Biodel had 38.9 million shares outstanding.
Conference Call and Webcast Information
Biodel's senior management will host a conference call on May 10, 2012 beginning at 8:30 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time to discuss these results and provide a company update. Live audio of the conference call will be available to investors, members of the news media and the general public by dialing +1 (877) 303-8028 (United States) or +1 (760) 536-5167 (international). To access the call by live audio webcast, please log on to the investor section of the company's website at www.biodel.com. An archived version of the audio webcast will be available on Biodel's website.
About Biodel Inc.
Biodel Inc. is a specialty biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of innovative treatments for diabetes that may be safer, more effective and more convenient for patients. We develop our product candidates by applying our proprietary formulation technologies to existing drugs in order to improve their therapeutic profiles. For further information regarding Biodel, please visit the company's website at www.biodel.com.