, Aug. 25
AREVA and its subsidiary AREVA Med LLC announced today the formation of an advisory committee to support its rapid development.
The committee is composed of five high-level scientists who will provide AREVA Med with strategic advice and scientific guidance in the field of Radioimmunotherapy using 212Pb manufactured by AREVA Med.
The members of the AREVA Med Advisory Committee are:
- Darrell R. Fisher, Ph.D., Medical Physicist and Lead for the Isotope Sciences Program at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, Wash.
- Olivier Rixe, M.D., Ph.D., Director of the Experimental Therapeutics Program at the University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Brenda M. Sandmaier M.D., Medical Oncologist at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and the University of Washington, Seattle, Wash.
- George Sgouros, Ph.D., Director of the Radiopharmaceutical Dosimetry Section, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Md.
- Christine A. White, M.D., Medical Oncologist and Hematologist, who held several senior positions in the clinical development of the first radio-immunotherapy approved in the US and Europe.
AREVA Med President and CEO Patrick Bourdet said, "I'm delighted and honored that our company is able to involve these world class scientists. This support demonstrates the quality of our work and strategy. It also illustrates the potential of Radioimmunotherapy using 212Pb to treat many types of cancer."
In nuclear medicine, the development of new treatments is dictated by isotope availability. In March 2010, AREVA Med announced the construction of a Lead-212* industrial production plant that will allow the creation of new targeted therapies for patients.
*Lead-212 is a rare radioactive isotope that lies at the heart of promising nuclear medical research to develop new cancer treatments.
More information at www.arevamed.com
MORE ABOUT AREVA
AREVA provides its customers with solutions for carbon-free power generation in North America and all over the world. As the leader in nuclear energy and a significant, growing player in the renewable energies sector, AREVA combines U.S. and Canadian leadership, access to worldwide expertise and a proven track record of performance. Sustainable development is a core component of AREVA's strategy. Its more than 5,000 U.S. and Canadian employees work every day to make AREVA a responsible industrial player helping to supply ever cleaner, safer and more economical energy to the greatest number of people. AREVA Inc. is headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland. Visit us at http://us.areva.com or follow us at Twitter.