News by Subject
News by Disease
News by Date
Post Your News
Job Seeker Login
Most Recent Jobs
Browse Biotech Jobs
US & Canada
Post an Event
News | News By Subject | News by Disease |
News By Date | Search News
6 Shameless Self-Promotion Tips for Your Career
6/7/2013 2:25:07 PM
Help employers find you! Check out all the jobs and post your resume.
The Truth About Sucking Up: Six Tips To Selling Yourself and Enhancing Your Career
DENVER (June 13, 2013) — Self-promotion is the antidote to being overlooked or underestimated at work. But, how do you benefit from self-promotion and maintain your integrity and authenticity?
Dr. Gina Hernez-Broome, core faculty member at University of the Rockies, offers these six strategies to help you build your network, create relationships and gain visibility within your workplace:
1. Involve senior people. Ask seasoned or senior people for their insights and opinions. Once they’ve given input, you have a good reason to keep them informed.
2. Ask for help. By asking for other people’s assistance, you naturally have to describe your work.
3. Learn to summarize. People are too busy to notice all you do, much less make the connections or understand the implications. Find ways to summarize and merchandise your work.
4. Use your routine. Lunches, breaks and informal gatherings are the routine activities that help you make connections on a personal level. You don’t need to tout your work – talking about what you do is relationship building.
5. Showcase the positive. Good news and compliments are worth passing along. Forward those emails to your boss. Or, ask people if they would mind taking a moment to let your boss know.
6. Volunteer for visibility. Volunteer for opportunities and responsibilities that put you in a position of visibility. By signing up you communicate a positive, confident image – and you get good experience.
About Dr. Gina Hernez-Broome
Dr. Gina Hernez-Broome is a core faculty member within University of the Rockies’ School of Organizational Leadership. Prior to joining the University, Hernez-Broome was a program manager and lead researcher at the Center for Creative Leadership. She is co-author of the Center for Creative Leadership’s field book “The Truth About Sucking Up.” Other books include “Selling Yourself without Selling Out: A Leader’s Guide to Ethical Self-Promotion” and “Advancing Executive Coaching."
About University of the Rockies
University of the Rockies is an advanced graduate institution for tomorrow’s thought leaders. The University provides an intimate and dynamic learning environment, offering highly specialized master’s and doctoral degree programs in the social and behavioral sciences, access to industry experts, campus clinical programs for practical experience, and research and publishing opportunities. University of the Rockies is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association (www.ncahlc.org). Small by design, University of the Rockies classes are presented in a progressive online format, at its Colorado Springs, Colorado, campus and at its Denver instructional site. For more information, please visit www.rockies.edu.
Read more biotech career tips. Find more biotech and pharma jobs by visiting the career center.
Check out the latest Career Insider eNewsletter - June 13, 2013.
Sign up for the free weekly Career Insider eNewsletter.
* 5 Steps to Becoming a More Active Listener
* Are YOU Time-Management "Challenged"?
* 10 Signs It’s Time to Break Up With Your Job